What are you planting "new to you" this year?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So many @donna13350 ! A few I'm most curious to try are a maxima squash called 'Courge Potimarron' (apparently VERY early and productive), a pepper called 'Caixo', and another called 'Lemon Spice' Jalapeno. Epazote, and a type of cilantro called 'Confetti' which looks more like carrot tops and supposedly lasts longer. A fava bean that looks like an ancient fossil. Hmm, I got a corn called 'Rootbeer' which I'm very tempted to try, it is literally the color of rootbeer! And of course, LOTS of new beans!

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Do you try mostly new things every year? I just try to keep varieties that give me the flavor I like best, and are productive in my climate. I will usually try something new every year, but mostly stick with what I know works here.
For potatoes, sweet potatoes, hot peppers, winter squash, summer squash, okra, soybeans, melons, some herbs I have my tried and true varieties that I love and plant each year. I am still searching for that perfect sweet bell or non bell colorful pepper(s) and a hybrid cherry that we will all love. Flowers well because flowers :).
I want to try a dry bean variety and open pollinated sweet Corn so I can save seeds.
I am still searching for the perfect carrot!
And my kids love to garden with me so I let them pick seeds they want to grow.
So does my husband.
Basically we enable each other and all need help 😂

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
So many @donna13350 ! A few I'm most curious to try are a maxima squash called 'Courge Potimarron' (apparently VERY early and productive),

that one is on my list to try. red kuri, since it is in the hubbard family i think it will do fine here.

a pepper called 'Caixo', and another called 'Lemon Spice' Jalapeno. Epazote, and a type of cilantro called 'Confetti' which looks more like carrot tops and supposedly lasts longer. A fava bean that looks like an ancient fossil. Hmm, I got a corn called 'Rootbeer' which I'm very tempted to try, it is literally the color of rootbeer! And of course, LOTS of new beans!

:)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Here is from the list of seeds I bought last fall and up to yesterday and I intend to plant them all this year:
Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
Chinese Red Noodle Bean
Taiwan Yard-Long Bean
King of the Garden Lima Bean
Cumin
Takane Ruby Buckwheat
Purpurea Echinacea
Cherokee Trail of Tears Bean
Lycopersicon esculentum Cherry tomato
Melon Seeds - Charentais
Ailsa Craig Exhibition Onion
Snowball Self-Blanching Cauliflower
Clancy Hybrid Potato (seeds)
Evergreen White Bunching onions
Vegetable Spaghetti Winter Squash
Mennonite Sorghum

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm trying some new varieties this year, as I mentioned in the Coffee thread, to try and break the 'bad crop year' cycle I seem to have gotten stuck in. Yes, I've done all the rotation, checking soil quality and such, but have had issues with growth and production likely due to inconsistent weather. Drown and drought seems to be the past couple of years.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I tried my hand at saving bean seeds last year. I saved some from a purple bush bean that was tasty when fresh off of the bush but not anywhere near as tender as the Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans were, so I inteand to plant those beans at DD's back yard patch that we continually try to rescue from weeds. DD's may/may not harvest from them, and, if I do, I will probably throw the pods down to dry out and replant/fertilize.
EVERYTHING has it's purpose.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am still searching for the perfect carrot!
I don't know what you like in a carrot, but I'm gonna tell you of my favorite (which is pretty much equivalent to sharing the location of a favorite fishing hole)...

Okay, so Nash Huber over on the Olympic Peninsula grows and sells produce, wheat, and such (he's a seed breeder too). He developed a carrot that is a cross between a Nantes and a Danvers, and I adore it. The only place that carries the seed (or at least they were the last few years) is Prairie Road Organics. It's called "Nash's Best."

donna13350

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@flowebug...I grow Red Kuri every year...it produces well and I like the size and flavor. The first year I grew it, we got into the heat, and the entire plant wilted overnight, it looked like it was on death's door. I posted on a forum asking what could be wrong with it..the reply I got was that Red Kuri is a Diva, and pouts in the heat...treat her like a child having a tantrum and ignore her and she'll perk back up as soon as the heat stops...to this day I remember that and it always makes me smile! The pouting never hinders production, so I'm good with it !

donna13350

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm trying some new varieties this year, as I mentioned in the Coffee thread, to try and break the 'bad crop year' cycle I seem to have gotten stuck in. Yes, I've done all the rotation, checking soil quality and such, but have had issues with growth and production likely due to inconsistent weather. Drown and drought seems to be the past couple of years.
I'm having the same problem here. I have to adjust to my"new normal"...if I could just figure out what that is. It seems we've been skipping Spring here altogether, we just get slammed from winter to summer, so many of my Spring crops are now going to be Fall crops. I am also trying shade cloth for the first time this coming year and see how that does. Crazy weather.

Latest posts