What are you planting "new to you" this year?

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem here. I have to adjust to my"new normal"...if I could just figure out what that is. It seems we've been skipping Spring here altogether, we just get slammed from winter to summer, so many of my Spring crops are now going to be Fall crops. I am also trying shade cloth for the first time this coming year and see how that does. Crazy weather.
I've thought about a sun dodger, but that's almost 'too much' shade. I have row cover, but it won't hold up for long if I use it for shade cloth.

Does any of this sound suitable for rational with the DH for spending money? 😄

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowebug...I grow Red Kuri every year...it produces well and I like the size and flavor. The first year I grew it, we got into the heat, and the entire plant wilted overnight, it looked like it was on death's door. I posted on a forum asking what could be wrong with it..the reply I got was that Red Kuri is a Diva, and pouts in the heat...treat her like a child having a tantrum and ignore her and she'll perk back up as soon as the heat stops...to this day I remember that and it always makes me smile! The pouting never hinders production, so I'm good with it !

thank you! i'm curious about any other experience you have with them in terms of bug and disease problem.

any experience with any other Kuri squash? :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I've thought about a sun dodger, but that's almost 'too much' shade. I have row cover, but it won't hold up for long if I use it for shade cloth.

Does any of this sound suitable for rational with the DH for spending money? 😄
Same, here, no real Spring. That's why I tried Fall crops in 2022. Have you thought about planting cool weather crops north of your house?

donna13350

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@flowebug I have never had any bug or disease with my Red Kuri...I grow on a cattle panel, and if you have issues with fungal diseases, trellising may help. Red Kuri is the only pumpkin type squash that I grow, when I find something that works well for me I tend to stick with it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowebug I have never had any bug or disease with my Red Kuri...I grow on a cattle panel, and if you have issues with fungal diseases, trellising may help. Red Kuri is the only pumpkin type squash that I grow, when I find something that works well for me I tend to stick with it.

:) good to hear.

around here it probably would not matter if i raised them up or not as we get fogs and dewfall pretty heavy most of the later summer and into the fall season evenings.

donna13350

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:) good to hear.

around here it probably would not matter if i raised them up or not as we get fogs and dewfall pretty heavy most of the later summer and into the fall season evenings.
I think it would help because the wind and air circulation would dry them out faster on a trellis than just sprawling on the ground.

donna13350

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Same, here, no real Spring. That's why I tried Fall crops in 2022. Have you thought about planting cool weather crops north of your house?
North of my house is my front yard...so not really an option unless I get desperate down the road !
I'm going to try Fall crops, I expext my biggest challenge with that will be timing, but I take lots of garden notes all through the season, so I'll get that down eventually, too.

Latest posts