What are you planting "new to you" this year?

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Same, here, no real Spring. That's why I tried Fall crops in 2022. Have you thought about planting cool weather crops north of your house?
I do plant cool weather crops in spring and late summer/early fall. It gets too hot and humid come July/August around here, just about everything either bolts or mildews. I'm considering some sort of fan set up to reduce that.

nune

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm going to start some seeds of a fluffy cucumber-like melon known as Carosello Mezzo Lungo indoors. I think the fruit being fluffy is adorable and useful. :]

(image from Farmacie Isolde, but I didn't get my seed from them)

DEF601BF-7580-479B-B2AB-538D33085C52.jpeg

I'm also planning to grow a kind of pepper, called Peter Pepper, shaped like...
a private part.

You can probably see I have the humor of an immature kid. :p

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just started some seeds for a 9" tall perennial called Compact Golden Flax, from Swallowtail Seeds. They say it has cheery bright yellow blooms all summer long, and is 'exceptional, and deserves to be planted much more often'. It is winter hardy to zone 5, and thrives in rock gardens. I am thinking that it could make a nice border plant for the hot, difficult strip along the edge of the driveway. Here is a link with a glowing review of this plant: https://floweryprose.com/2012/08/18/flowery-spotlight-dwarf-golden-flax/

This will be my first year growing flax, and I also have purchased seeds for annual red, blue, and golden flax to try. Annual Golden Flax is particularly intriguing for me, as it is recommended for inter-cropping with chick peas to help keep their branches aloft. In this instance the 'golden' refers to the colour of the seed; it also has pretty light blue flowers. 🌼

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
This will be my first year growing flax, and I also have purchased seeds for annual red, blue, and golden flax to try. Annual Golden Flax is particularly intriguing for me, as it is recommended for inter-cropping with chick peas to help keep their branches aloft. In this instance the 'golden' refers to the colour of the seed; it also has pretty light blue flowers. 🌼

sounds like fun! :) i like the blue flowering ones the best, but yellow would be fine with us too. the annual versions are easy. the ones that may go a few years tend to not really cover enough so they can be invaded by weeds a bit more than i ever wanted. we used to have a lot of flax here but i eventually let it all die off and haven't too many plants around now because i don't want to do any more weeding around garden plants than i'm already doing. the annual flax at least i know i'm going to have to keep that weeded like the beans, peas, etc.

i have not looked into how long the seeds are viable and i should do that since i have some older seeds and should not be giving them away without knowing if they're ok enough or not...

looks like mine are old enough that i should not be giving them away. will replant this year and see if i can get any to grow or perhaps just get some new seeds and start over. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts