What are you planting right now/fall

Patman75

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm in zone 5 and I am going to try a few thing this fall first time. Spinach, lettuce, brocoli, kholorbi. Anything else out there I could plant?

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm in zone 5 as well and planted the things you mentioned below along w/some: Swiss Chard and garlic...I thought about doing carrots as well, but I always have the worst luck! Good Luck w/your fall garden :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should be okay with sowing bok choy this late.

Mustard greens.

Spinach can overwinter, I am told repeatedly. Its cousin orache does in my garden!

Steve

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been gardening for years, but I do not get the zone stuff. How do you know what "zone" you are in?

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Look at a zone map. They are on most seed pkts, but you can look it up online and get a bigger pic of the map. They don't make much sense to me anyway, you can have very different climate / terrain in the same zone.

I am in zone 7 and am planning on a big fall planting, I have several things already planted but am still waiting for the temps to drop below 100 for the majority of the planting.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We are planting turnip greens and putting out cabbage plants this week! Getting area ready for fall onions and lettuce.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Kassaundra said:
Look at a zone map. They are on most seed pkts, but you can look it up online and get a bigger pic of the map. They don't make much sense to me anyway, you can have very different climate / terrain in the same zone.
I found the zone map, but it's still not clear.

I'm in an area of northern California in the Sierra Nevadas that has at least 5 zones listed in our general area. It looks like I'm somewhere between 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b, and maybe a little 7b?

I wish the map was easier to see. I cannot see my exact area on the map (the letters are small and very light, hard to see).

I have seen the zone maps on the back of seed packets, but when you live in the Sierra Nevadas (not high Sierras, but not at the base, either we are approximately half way between Sacramento and South Lake Tahoe), the zone lines are narrow in some places which makes them hard to see--I can't even see the outline of my county, much less my exact area on the zone map!

More confused than ever. I will just plant what I plant and see what grows and what doesn't. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why don't you pick up a copy of Sunsets Western Garden book Grow'? They have zones for the west broken down into about 24 areas. They take into consideration elevation, marine influence, bodies of water etc. You can pinpoint your area pretty precisely.
If you don't want to spring for buying it (although if you like to garden I think it's well worth the cost ) I bet you could find it at a library, or go to Amazon and pick up a used one. :)

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Why don't you pick up a copy of Sunsets Western Garden book Grow'? They have zones for the west broken down into about 24 areas. They take into consideration elevation, marine influence, bodies of water etc. You can pinpoint your area pretty precisely.
If you don't want to spring for buying it (although if you like to garden I think it's well worth the cost ) I bet you could find it at a library, or go to Amazon and pick up a used one. :)
I found a REALLY clear map on the Farmer's Almanac site! I'm in zone 8. When you pull up their zone map and move your mouse over your area, it automatically tells you what zone you're in. That's pretty nifty.

We just moved to the mountains this year, and I knew when to start and harvest my garden when we lived in the valley. Being in a new climate, I needed a little extra help.

I will look for the Sunset Western Garden book, as well. You are probably the 2nd or 3rd person to suggest that same book to me in recent months. Thank you! :)

Don't you just love gardening and growing your own food? I know I do!

Latest posts