What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This week,

Bok Choy seed went in under my temporary tunnel! The weather has been fine for it to begin sprouting but I put a thermometer in that soil just before setting up the hoops and pulling the plastic film over it. It was: 41F! I should get out there in the next day or 2 to let you know the temp of that top 4" . . . it will be warmer than that.

I was recently reading that winter rye will grow ~ some (barely) ~ at 38. Bok Choy and the others in the turnip family (yes, that's right, we can call them the Turnip Family :p), must be nearly as cold tolerant as winter rye. A green onion or 2, some over-wintered cilantro and I'll have lunchtime stir-fried bok choy in no time! Oh, there will be a little diced up bacon in there, too ;).

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Getting ready to any minute now plant a fall gold raspberry.

2 more berries go in tomorrow, a third in a few days.

before st. pat's day, the peas

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Gardening with Rabbits said:
I know you had some real frustrations along with some triumphs, GwR. I had, probably, an unacceptable amount of fun reading that. Besides an unintended mistake now and then, there are things that are beyond our control every year. Life! We just do the best we can with it.

Marshall, they are more containers than cloches but could serve as a direct-in-the-ground sort of thing. Don't know. I think, and the winter-sowers can correct me, that a lot of them have seed in the soil right now. The soil in the containers may freeze but it may not make much difference with a lot of things. That is, as long as there isn't dehydration.

Steve
The rabbit came back and ate the last 2 purple sprouting broccoli. He is locked up right now and we have got to get a fence up. I opened the spinach from the milk jug and have been moving it to the sun and out of the rain. It is growing. It probably needs to be planted in the ground. The mustard and cabbage look very small and pale, so I have just ignored them and even though the milk cartons are open and the dirt was even froze, they are alive. It has rained on them, had sun on them, wind, freezing rain and I did not use good soil when I planted them. I think if I had used better soil they would have looked a lot better or waited an extra month or so to plant. I planted Butterfly Weed seed, but the seed was very old and they have not sprouted yet. This fall I will have things covered and have greens longer and also a place ready to plant things like this early in the ground or like you said, just plant in the ground and cover. Only advantage I can see is if I did this right I would save room for other things in the little tiny greenhouse I have.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Slowly but surely I am planting the rest of my tomato seeds. I planted two flats worth on Friday, two yesterday, and plan on doing the other three tomorrow. All but the Aji Dulce peppers have sprouted. All the flowers have sprouted, too. Can't wait until all this snow melts and I can plant these guys outside!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I planted 16 yellow onion (sets) in two large pots. They are in one of my sunken, cement window wells, south facing. It's gonna be 17 degrees Thursday morning, so I put a glass cover on to hold in the heat. Such for my container experimenting. =b

Reaction score
This is my very first post on this site and I am pretty excited about it. This year is my third attempt at my gardening. We have planted eggplant, lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, strawberry, and several varieties of tomatoes. My goal is to have enough veggies to last throughout the year. Last year I made the mistake of letting my chickens in the garden area unattended and found that they ate everything left. I will not make this mistake again. I also have a nectarine and a plum tree that produced pretty good last year. Lots of blossoms but it rained pretty good last night and knocked blossoms off of the tree. I will take any suggestions, I live in California and the weather is supposed to be pretty good now.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Kim!

:frow

Remember your login stuff and browse the site here.

I'm in California too, and it rained here pretty good last night but stopped today.

There are lots of folks here with chickens and gardens and they'll be able to let you know how to work both together.

I hope your trees will be alright.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kim'svictorygarden said:
Last year I made the mistake of letting my chickens in the garden area unattended and found that they ate everything left. I will not make this mistake again.
Hi, Kim! Welcome to THEEASYGARDEN gang. Glad to have you growing with us.

Right! I let my chickens have free range in the garden until I realized there was no garden left. Since that first chicken-year, I've fenced the veggies in. The only good thing the chicks did in the garden was with the great 'Colorado Potato Beetle Invasion'. I let the chickens into the potato bed and in that one afternoon every beetle and larvae was history.

Enjoy your garden! I'm still seeing white, windy, and cold.

Latest posts