What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Zone 8 - oh, you are so lucky, there is so much that thrives in that zone. Do you get the English rainy weather, or are you drier than what we hear? If you've got the good moisture climate and zone 8, you truly are in gardening heaven! :clap

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Reinbeau! :lol:

Yes! It's Hattie from Gardening Heaven! :bow

WELL USUALLY.....! At the moment it's VERY DRY but that's not normal for this area.

Must go & plant the peony --MUST NOT read more TEG posts until LATER :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

PennyG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
No planting here yet, our last frost date is May 21st, and the last few nights, we've been getting heavy frost.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
. . . Now, have you tried growing Parcel; across between parsley & celery? I like that too but then I love celery -- so many people HATE it! . . .
I've grown parcel but found celeriac more useful. Can you believe that I had some from 'o8 for lunch yesterday?!? There are still more roots in the fridge. They were outdoors and covered with a LOT of snow thru the Winter. Besides, I had a bumper crop and dug thru the snow enuf times to have a lot of celery root in soups, stews, and added to mashed potatoes. We are having trouble getting thru the last of them . . . more than 6 months after harvest!

This year, I guess I over-looked it. It needs to be started in the greenhouse and I just forgot to order the seeds. Guess I'll be really looking forward to it in '10.

Lovage? I know that it is pretty and with that name, what could we expect?

Steve

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Lovage? I know that it is pretty and with that name, what could we expect?

Steve
It's an herb, Levisticum officinale, in my garden it gets to be about four feet tall, with greenish umbels of flowers. The leaves taste like celery, my mother always used it in potato salad (along with chopped celery!). I love it in the herb garden. You can read more about it here.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Finally dried enough to get a few things in the ground

30 tomatoes
8 bell peppers (4 different colors)
4 jalepano
2 hot chili
2 serrano
2 poblano
2 lbs of sweet corn
25 sweet potato plants
4 zukes
4 crook neck squash
30 cukes
1 lb blue lake beans
18 broc
24 cabbage
8 pumpkins

This will get me started. However it is suppose to rain today and keep going for the next 4 days so I might have to replant.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:ep We had some BAD WEATHER coming through here and were under Tornado Warnings :hide we didn't get hit, But the North end of Kirksville ( 26 miles south of us) was hit by a twister and they have some of our Fire fighters on there way there to help search. I guess it took out the Car dealership and some other places it has the Kraft Foods plant shut down and some folks can't get out. DH went to go out with the Ambulance to assist. I sure hope no one is faility hurt. :fl :fl :fl :fl

I am glad it missed us but soorry for those that have lost. :hit

I would have dreaded seeing my Greenhouse blowing away :hit
So thankful we were being watched over :fl :fl :fl

:hide Karan :hide

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh dear, storms are such a worry, never mind tornadoes! I hope nothing touches that gorgeous greenhouse!! :ep

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Last expected frost here is May 15 but I took a chance and planted the zucchini, green peppers, and 2 of the 10 tomato plants. I also dug out 6 of my neighbors black raspberry "runners" and planted them. Fresh raspberries next year! :drool