What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Thank you detective @meadow! :hugs That makes sense to me because both my gardening friends are into granulated all purpose fertilizer mixed into the entire garden before planting. I should tell them to add some buckets of sand to the areas they plant roots in for dilution.
Watch adding the sand. Notice that Susan said to use COMPOST.
Don't remember about the others BUT I have tons of horse manure available and it takes 4 months to break down for garden use.
There is a balance between, like at my place which USED TO BE A WORKING FARM PROPERTY, and I discovered that the soil was straight clay, and buying fertilizers to put in your beds. Never thought I'd say this, BUT, perhaps some people Should use Miracle Gro? It only fertilizes for like 3 months, then dissipates in the soil.
I really think gardeners should learn to make a compost pile. There are many wasy to compost that don't make a stinky mess that your neighbors will complain about, like grass clippings. THAT is why, even with the large amount of hand mowing I have to do I am happy to have received a brand new bag mower for Christmas.
Yeah, I KNOW, many women would have preferred a topaz ring.
One panelist on Mid American Gardener has gone straight to grass clippings to mulch her entire garden areas. She likes how they break down and keep in moisture without burning out her vegetables and herbs.
Then, there are the devotees of wildflowers who said you should never grow them with ANY mulch or compost and that 200 years ago they were growing flowers that won't make it in our yards.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Onion and Leek seed went into the starter mix this week. The flat was left in the greenhouse with no heat but they shouldn't have much problem if the seed tries for a quick start. Despite what the calendar says, we are having Spring-like weather with freezing only overnight and a fair amount of daily sunshine. Still, I will allow the calendar to guide me because of past trial and error.

Some seed for those early, tough, macho ... Pansies were also started :).

Anise Hyssop seed went in a berry box of soil. Trial and error are outta the frame of reference on those. I have relied on volunteers and survivors from almost the start but the few 2022 plants were not given much of a chance to grow and bloom because I was out so often to harvest. Both these and the Pansies are indoors in the kitchen with berry boxes covered with plastic film to maintain moisture.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The onions are UP in the unheated greenhouse, apparently finally prompted by this week's warmer temperatures. The peppers won't be joining them anytime soon since they are yet to emerge from the starter mix and will only be peaking out of the South Window once they do.

The pepper cookie box has been joined by eggplant and tomato containers above the kitchen fridge. I'm checking them twice a day, hoping to see a little green.

Also above the fridge is the snapdragon and calendula seed in the soil mix. The pansies and anise hyssop are the only tiny seedlings joining some house plants in the South Window, shivering out there, waiting inside for the closed curtains to be opened with sunrise.

Steve, planning for some Asian greens seed to go into the soil mix today - destined for the hoop house beds about the time March goes out like a lamb.