What are your favorite perennial flowers?

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew perennial johnny jump ups last year, I really hope they come back.
If they don't, they reseed prolifically. I was amazed at the ones that have crept into the asparagus patch with their blooms a good 2' off of the ground.
Those hollyhocks are gorgeous, I've never seen any kind like them!
They aren't a true hollyhock. They are a Malva (Malva zebrina). Unlike true hollyhocks they come up and bloom the first year. The bees love them. They are supposed to be a perennial but it's too cold here. They are more than prolific reseeders. I have to be careful to prevent them from taking over the garden.
I love the blue flax. I will definitely look into growing them!
The Blue Flax are a somewhat xeric plant and don't do well if over watered. There is a Scarlet Flax but it acts as an annual for me and also has not come back from its own seeds. The Blue Flax is a true perennial and reseeds very well.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@R2elk , I have grown Purple Malva from seed before. They only reseeded one season afterwards, but Very easy to grow and no maintenance.
I WISH that Calla Lily's were perennials!
I saw a combo pack of white and purple sold by Eden Brothers. $40/5 bulbs
:th:th:th
MAN, that's pricey!! They are called a "Bridal Package."
I have even had Calla Lily's go to seed for me, but I wasn't good at storing them, else I would have them every year.

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@R2elk , I have grown Purple Malva from seed before. They only reseeded one season afterwards, but Very easy to grow and no maintenance.
I broadcast Malva zebrina seeds in a corner of the garden eight years ago. Each individual plant produces thousands of seeds and they have tried to take over the whole garden. Over the last couple of years they have started spreading to other parts of the property wherever there is sufficient water for them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Favorite Favorite ... oh, okay

Sentimental. Well, aren't we looking for an emotional response from growing flowers? Iris. Early in the season and sorta signaling that we are leaving the  bouncy, changeable springtime weather behind. If they don't have a subtle, pleasant fragrance – I may be disappointed, however ;).

Foxglove. Because they remind me of being 3 years old and being in my grandmother's garden. Foxglove are usually biennial , but reseed. We have so many along the northside of the greenhouse and have just gone through those subzero days. The plants are flat on the ground; I have never seen them like that. Snow is falling on them now, a little late for that, Mother Nature. I have never thought about a need to cover foxglove.

Steve

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Coreopsis (Early Sunrise is my favorite), most of the salvias, and coneflowers, of course. Nepeta (Walkers Low) makes for a nice ground cover and the cats love it. It WILL spread as most of the mint family will, but not invasive like some.

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nepeta (Walkers Low) makes for a nice ground cover and the cats love it. It WILL spread as most of the mint family will, but not invasive like some.
I have some of this. Very pretty, and the flowers have a very long blooming season. I've not had cats on it, but the bees like it! 😉

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Iris. Early in the season and sorta signaling that we are leaving the  bouncy, changeable springtime weather behind. If they don't have a subtle, pleasant fragrance – I may be disappointed, however ;).
I do love irises. There is a large dark purple bearded iris in another garden that I could probably divide.
Looks a lot like this one:
purple-bearded-irises-penny-lisowski.jpg

Foxglove. Because they remind me of being 3 years old and being in my grandmother's garden. Foxglove are usually biennial , but reseed. We have so many along the northside of the greenhouse and have just gone through those subzero days. The plants are flat on the ground; I have never seen them like that. Snow is falling on them now, a little late for that, Mother Nature. I have never thought about a need to cover foxglove.
Foxglove is a nice idea, since I'm going for more of a cottage garden feel (though I like pretty much anything!)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Considering the level of maintenance (including how long you have to divide them), aggressiveness (will they spread like crazy), and resources they need, my choices are:

Narcissus
Peony
Allium Family
Iris
Daylily
Autumn Aster

They can offer a pretty nice seasonal interest - from early spring to late autumn.

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Considering the level of maintenance (including how long you have to divide them), aggressiveness (will they spread like crazy), and resources they need, my choices are:

Narcissus
Peony
Allium Family
Iris
Daylily
Autumn Aster

They can offer a pretty nice seasonal interest - from early spring to late autumn.
Thanks for replying!
I planted alliums last fall, hopefully they will do well! I had never grown them before this.
I do have a few daylilies. They are very low maintenance, which is nice.

I was considering peonies, I think they are gorgeous!

Latest posts