Yellow Pear
Black from Tula
Sweet Pea Currant
one Blondkopfchen
and a still undetermined number of Reisentraubes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if we are helping you choose from that list of alternatives, Northernrose.

From the alternatives, the only one I've tried is Box Car Willie. Actually, I gave those plants to my neighbor, Biker Billie, Box Car's cousin. Both of them did poorly in Biker's garden but there could have have been a number of reasons for this failure. Foremost, it is probably that the season here is too short for an 80-day tomato, IMO.

You already have several of yours that I would hate to be without: Big Beef and Sweet 100 are just real fine performers in their classes. Sunsugar is probably my favorite tomato but I expect to continue the Sunsugar/Sungold dogfight until the competition is resolved or I can't get seed for one or the other, which ever comes first ;).

I probably should try Black Krim. It just might work here :).

Rainbow . . ? High in my hopes for this season is to better expand my rainbow of choices from the patch. Orange Minsk didn't perform very well last year so I've got 2 more big slicers: Dagma's Perfection and Woodle's Orange. I don't have much optimism about Kellogg's Breakfast (another of those 80-day'ers :/)but a couple of respected gardening friends have wonderful things to say about it.

I've got the orange/yellow covered in the cherry patch but decided to toss in Dr. Carolyn. For one thing, I've talked with Dr. Carolyn and benefited from her tomato wisdom. Also, it is a descendant of Galina which seems to be a good choice for short, cool season areas. One Wyoming gardener wouldn't be without it. Dr. Carolyn is supposed to be almost ivory colored rather than an actual yellow.

High hopes for Sweet Quartz ;)! But, isn't that a terrible name for a cherry tomato :( ?! "Here, bite into this pink piece of quartz!" Yikes! Who came up with that!!? Anyway, I won't have a problem with calling it something else . . . like, Sweet Rose, or something :).

Do I like to talk, grow, and eat tomatoes? Oh, not so anyone would notice . . .

Steve :cool:

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I don't know if we are helping you choose from that list of alternatives, Northernrose.

From the alternatives, the only one I've tried is Box Car Willie. Actually, I gave those plants to my neighbor, Biker Billie, Box Car's cousin. Both of them did poorly in Biker's garden but there could have have been a number of reasons for this failure. Foremost, it is probably that the season here is too short for an 80-day tomato, IMO.

You already have several of yours that I would hate to be without: Big Beef and Sweet 100 are just real fine performers in their classes. Sunsugar is probably my favorite tomato but I expect to continue the Sunsugar/Sungold dogfight until the competition is resolved or I can't get seed for one or the other, which ever comes first ;).

I probably should try Black Krim. It just might work here :).

Rainbow . . ? High in my hopes for this season is to better expand my rainbow of choices from the patch. Orange Minsk didn't perform very well last year so I've got 2 more big slicers: Dagma's Perfection and Woodle's Orange. I don't have much optimism about Kellogg's Breakfast (another of those 80-day'ers :/)but a couple of respected gardening friends have wonderful things to say about it.

I've got the orange/yellow covered in the cherry patch but decided to toss in Dr. Carolyn. For one thing, I've talked with Dr. Carolyn and benefited from her tomato wisdom. Also, it is a descendant of Galina which seems to be a good choice for short, cool season areas. One Wyoming gardener wouldn't be without it. Dr. Carolyn is supposed to be almost ivory colored rather than an actual yellow.

High hopes for Sweet Quartz ;)! But, isn't that a terrible name for a cherry tomato :( ?! "Here, bite into this pink piece of quartz!" Yikes! Who came up with that!!? Anyway, I won't have a problem with calling it something else . . . like, Sweet Rose, or something :).

Do I like to talk, grow, and eat tomatoes? Oh, not so anyone would notice . . .

Steve :cool:
Thanks Steve,
Big Beef always seems do do well for me and is a great plant:) And Sweet 100 is an awsome plant. I planted Black Krim last year but the plant didn't do well, just a few green tomatoes. I'm trying it again from a better nursery with healthier plants and planting it much earilier too. It's also going to be in the ground this year and not in a 1/2 wine barrel. Hope it does well for me :fl The 8 plants I have in the ground so far are off to a good start and have doubled or tripled in size in the last week in a half. The sunsugars have me drooling just thinking about them. :D

I love the look and taste of the yellow/orange/red marbled tomatoes. I think my other two plants will be Pineapple and Lemon boy to go with the Rainbow. For pinks, I think I'll try Caspian Pink as it is suppost to rival Brandywine and out produce it here in CA. Caspian Pink has a bit smaller tomato too. And last but not least Cherokee Purple it didn't do well either for me last year, but again I'm getting healtier plants and I hope it produces as well as they say it will:)

The local nursery is going to start selling their plants this weekend and I can't wait to pick up these last four. I want some tomatillos too :drool

Trisha

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This year, I am starting Goliath-original, Better Boy and Abe Lincolns (my all time favorite) Most likely I will end up buying a few other varieties.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seriously, it is hard to narrow it down for me too...

I've got two flats going (total 96 seedlings), just sprouted. I'll keep about 30 plants or so for myself and give away/sell the extras.

San Marzano
Costoluto Genovese
Super Sweet 100
Delicious
Mortgage Lifter
Ultimate Opener Hybrid
Golden Egg
Black Plum
Black Krim
Ground Cherries (tomato relative)

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Early Girl
Beaver Lodge
Sweetie
Gold nugget

That's it here. If Beaver Lodge proves better than Early Girl, next year will only be beaver lodge and sweetie.

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have:
Celebrity
Bush Early Girl
Rutgers
Early Girl
Brandy Boy Hybrid
Pineapple

Cherries-
Sweet Million
2- Sun Gold
2 Rainbow

All of mine are in containers (16" pots and earth boxes)

I still want a couple more and there are only 2 of us who like fresh tomatoes!

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Cats Critters and Garden said:
I have (and they are all new to me):
Mortgage Lifter
Chocolate Stripes
Riesentraube- which translates to "giant bunch of grapes"
Yay! I will have someone to compare notes with.

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I bought my neighbor an assortment of colored heirloom tomato seeds from Tomato Bob for Christmas. He started a bunch, planted what he wanted, then gave me the leftovers. Problem is, the labels on his seedlings faded away!

I know I planted 1 Cherokee Purple (a slug got the other one! Grrrr!). I also put in two Sweet 100's, just in case those colored heirlooms don't do so well.

The other 7 or 8 seedlings will be Surprises. :)

Same thing happened with his pepper plants... at least the "Jalapeno" tag is still legible. :)

Latest posts