What bug likes cabbage, broccoli, and brussels sprouts?

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think I have bugs eating my cabbage, broccoli, and brussels sprouts. They are not bothering any other plant, but those plants are disappearing. They start with some little holes in the leaves, which get bigger and bigger until after a few days the young plants are just stumps. They are inside a chicken wire fence and also covered with plastic bottles, so no rabbits, chipmunks, or birds can get at them, it must be a bug. I keep looking over the plants but I don't find any bugs. Anyone have some ideas on what bugs like to eat those plants only and also don't mind cool night time temperatures? (40 degrees)

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Maybe cabbage loopers. I used DE against them. Have you seen little moths around them?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Most likely cabbage worms or loopers but slugs and snails also take their toll. Cabbage worms are so well camoflaged they are often hard to find. I use BT on them and it seems to work. My yellowjackets took care of them till the weather cooled off and they went underground.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aphids are a pain in the butt too. If my broccoli gets coated in aphids, there's no point in washing or soaking it, I just have to toss it to the chickens who will eat it aphids and all. :/

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have not noticed moths in the garden, but we have had a lot of moths on the porch lately...it's definitely not aphids, that is the first thing I checked for. We don't have slugs here either, it's way too dry.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I looked up cabbage loopers, and it seems a likely culprit. Those caterpillars look very familiar to me, we've had a bunch of them around as long as I can remember...I didn't know they were a pest though, so I usually leave them alone thinking they are butterflies!

Are there any companion plants that repel those? I don't want to use an insecticide, I'll try dusting with DE though.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are sneaky little worms. :p They are the same color as the plant, so it's hard to see them. If you don't soak the heads in salt water, you might even eat one (or ten) and not even know it. :sick If you don't want to spray, your best bet is to cover the plants with a fabric row cover BEFORE the moths find them. They are tenacious and they were after mine all season non-stop. You gotta put it on early. We had a couple threads on this in spring/summer if you do a search on cabbage moths/loopers and row covers.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If I have to squish one more cabbage moth I am going to SCREAM!!!!!!

:he

Latest posts