What can I do With Horseradish?

dandelionchick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
:lol: Good point baymule. LOL Yes it can be dug anytime but hubs says its supposed to be strongest in the fall when cold weather sets in. The hotter the better for him.
What do ya'll think? true or false?
I'm looking forward to digging one up and see how we did, I was mistaken earlier, some of my plants are 3 y/o now. It'll be interesting to see how they look. Hope they aren't to old and woody.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I like to mix some into sour cream with a pinch of salt and use it on roast beef or pork sandwiches. Make only as much as you will use in a few days. It doesn't keep too well that way but it sure tastes good..

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mom always told me to dig it in any month that had an "R" in it, all but May-August.

dandelionchick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Whooo boy that's true, potent stuff! I finished washing it in the kitchen and started peeling it, DH ground it up in the blender and wow!...
I had windows open and fans blowing. LOL...... Lesson learned. Hubs told me that's the way he always did it, then he told me mine wasn't as strong as the wild HR he grew back home in Maryland.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What to do with horseradish.... one of the things grandpa did when he was grinding it for horseradish sauce was tell me to smell it! Hope this helps... :D

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
did read a article about wasabi that you buy at the supermarket or have at a sushi bar/buffet is really made from horseradish and colored green!
it takes 3 years for the wasabi root to mature and it is only grown here in the usa in the northwest and in north carolina < go north carolina> the rest is from overseas
to have true wasabi you need to find a good asian market you will pay for it !!!!!! or find a really traditional sushi restaurant.
prepared true wasabi correctly will be the most enjoyable thing you ever put on your sushi.

and did you know that pickled ginger is served traditional as a palate cleanser between dishes <not mixed with soy sauce,,spicey green stuff> like you would be served a sorbet before your main course at a french restaurant.

figure making your own horseradish with all that vinegar it should last a while in the fridge. sure love a thin smear on a good steak.....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Horseradish that is not out of a tiny jar from the grocery store..............who knew? :cool:

dandelionchick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I was reading about preparing horseradish the other day and one article said that the longer you wait to add the vinegar, the hotter your horse radish will be. No wonder hubs always says my HR is mild, he blends the HR and the vinegar in the blender together, according to the article, its better to use a tablespoon of water instead and add the vinegar after a few minutes to allow it to build some heat.

Latest posts