What can I plant NOW? Zone 4a, at least 2-3 weeks til last frost.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'd like to get some things planted outside if I can-- I did plant peas a few days ago, but not sure what I can safely plant outdoors just yet. The "rule of thumb" in this area is not until after the first full moon in June-- there can be hard frosts through the first week of June here in Northern Maine.

Any suggestions for fairly safe options? I'm very itchy to plant!!! (but willing to sit on my hands and wait if I need to!)

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I live in zone 3 and I've planted radishes, onions, potatos, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, swiss chard.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Catalina said:
I live in zone 3 and I've planted radishes, onions, potatos, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, swiss chard.
Really??? And the plants don't freeze? I've got brocolli and brussels sprouts started (ooh, cabbage too) and wondered if the plants would freeze if I put them out.

Man-- I think lettuce and chard just might get put out NOW if I can manage :)

When did you plant them? How are they doing?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We can "bracket" you Nettie with Catalina in zone 3 and me in zone 5 (I suppose). Good that you said that about your frost date. You know these hardiness zones don't really have anything to do with first & last frosts, only Winter extremes.

We may have another frost or 2 here :rolleyes:. Overnight, the temps continue to drop into the mid-30's.

I've planted onions, potatoes, spinach, radish, lettuce, carrots, parsnips, and Asian greens. They have all germinated except the carrots & parsnips :D. The only veggie transplants set out have been bok choy and lettuce.

Along with some of the onion starts, the broccoli, cabbage and kale plants are still in ponies. I'd have them out there except I'm waiting for a "tractor guy" in the larger veggie garden :/.

My cue for planting peas is the blooming of the Oregon Grape (some folks use Forsythia but I think that's a little too early for most pea varieties ;)). The Oregon Grape has just started blooming . . .

I'm impatient to get all the cool-season things out, too :p.

Steve

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Our rule of thumb here is to plant peas, onions and potatos on Good Friday. That way if (when) it snows you already have them in the ground.
It works really well! My peas are always stronger when I plant them and then it snows on top of them.

Our last frost date is May 15th.

edited to add - But it's common to get snow at the end of May/first of June.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DH is finishing one of the gardens for me ( turning over , cutting sod, and extending it/enlargening it from last year), so I've got another day or two before I'll get really antsy.

I did plant my hops rhizomes today-- dug out the bed I've been planning, added ash and compost, put all the "pieces" back together and planted them. I hate to say I almost forgot about them-- I was waiting for the rain to quit and they slipped my mind.

I had some onion sets in a bag on the porch that I planned on planting today--- but can't find them. Either DH tossed them ( he says he never saw them) or I'll find them next winter somewhere! We (DH) has been doing some work on the sunporch and I can't find half of what was out there before he started, LOL

So.. no onions yet, unless I find them or go get some more. Maybe chard and brocolli tomorrow :) We'll see what the weather brings.

Thanks for all your ideas!!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :frow

I know that feeling of losing track of things -- I am always losing stuff that I just put down to do something else :rolleyes: I have now reverted to childhood & I carry things around on cords or chains -- just like my mother insisted I had my gloves attatched to my coat!!! I carry my front door key round my neck :lol: I thought if I started now it will be an ingrained habit by the time I get totally ga-ga! :barnie :D

Now, seriously, I think if you keep some pieces of floating fleece somewhere nearby (where you can grab them quickly ) you can plant a whole lot of stuff. Over here we can get an occasional frost right into mid June but I find that if I put stuff in on a warm/hot day, water them in & then mulch & make sure the wind does not dessicate them, most things do really well. :clap

For instance my peas are well up their support sticks, my broad beans (fava) are 2' 6"high & flowering profusely. My runner beans are twining up their wigwam -- All thanks to the fleece :bow It's the one modern invention I really wouldn't give up (in the garden I mean). Mind you my grandparents used old net curtains etc to do the same thing.

Happy experimenting in your garden. LOTS oF LUCK :coolsun

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts