What can I plant NOW? Zone 4a, at least 2-3 weeks til last frost.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll see what I have handy to use as covers in the garden. I don't really want to buy anything this year as covers, and with our move last year, and a broken water heater a month ago.. any sheet/blanket that could have been considered as a row cover was used, abused, and is now gone so there's not much left that's readily available.

On the plus side, we have lots of supplies to build a couple cold frames for next year :)

Hattie the Hen said:
Hi there! :frow

I know that feeling of losing track of things -- I am always losing stuff that I just put down to do something else :rolleyes: I have now reverted to childhood & I carry things around on cords or chains -- just like my mother insisted I had my gloves attatched to my coat!!! I carry my front door key round my neck :lol: I thought if I started now it will be an ingrained habit by the time I get totally ga-ga! :barnie :D

Now, seriously, I think if you keep some pieces of floating fleece somewhere nearby (where you can grab them quickly ) you can plant a whole lot of stuff. Over here we can get an occasional frost right into mid June but I find that if I put stuff in on a warm/hot day, water them in & then mulch & make sure the wind does not dessicate them, most things do really well. :clap

For instance my peas are well up their support sticks, my broad beans (fava) are 2' 6"high & flowering profusely. My runner beans are twining up their wigwam -- All thanks to the fleece :bow It's the one modern invention I really wouldn't give up (in the garden I mean). Mind you my grandparents used old net curtains etc to do the same thing.

Happy experimenting in your garden. LOTS oF LUCK :coolsun

:rose Hattie :rose

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am zone 4...sort of... LOL

Being at high altitude and in a semi-arid area, I have all the cold issues, but I also have the joys of low humidity AND high temps. We can have a snow storm one day and be in the 70's the next :p

I experimented this year and started planting cold weather plants way earlier than I normally do (around here Mother's Day is usually the ALL CLEAR date). Here is what is doing well...

Leaf lettuce
Merlot lettuce
Mesclun Mix
Mustard
Long Leaf Tong Ho
Brussel Sprouts

Here is what didn't do well...

Cabbage
Broccoli
Kale

Next year I need to wait a couple of weeks after plating the lettuce to put that stuff in.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I am zone 4...sort of... LOL

Being at high altitude and in a semi-arid area, I have all the cold issues, but I also have the joys of low humidity AND high temps. We can have a snow storm one day and be in the 70's the next :p

I experimented this year and started planting cold weather plants way earlier than I normally do (around here Mother's Day is usually the ALL CLEAR date). Here is what is doing well...

Leaf lettuce
Merlot lettuce
Mesclun Mix
Mustard
Long Leaf Tong Ho
Brussel Sprouts

Here is what didn't do well...

Cabbage
Broccoli
Kale

Next year I need to wait a couple of weeks after plating the lettuce to put that stuff in.
I don't have your conditions for sure, but I'm surprised the lettuce did better than the kale. I've had leaf lettuce burned by frost where the kale paid it no mind whatever. I do cover kale when the forecast is for the low 20's. And I have both curly-leafed and red russian kale. Lettuce I cover when a frost is predicted.

I also found cabbage is a little more cold-hardy than broccoli and a lot more cold-hardy than cauliflower. I still cover cabbage if a frost is predicted.

I find it interesting how we get different results. I guess it goes to show we all need to do our own experimenting to determine what works for us.

Latest posts