what did we grow???? UPDATE: new pics!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If that flower is more then 6" in diameter you have a dwarf hibiscus.... ask me how I know! :rolleyes: The smaller flowers are that of a rose of sharon that will be more of a large shrub or tree. The hibiscus you would cut back to the ground in the spring and you will enjoy huge blooms. Some of mine are about 10" in diameter.... but the flowers drop the next day until the ROS.

TheNewBee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ok. so ive been paying attention to the flowers on this.

vfem~i dont know if im understanding, if its a rose of sharon it will drop the flowers after just day?

also the base is a "tree trunk" to me. it seems to be getting taller and thicker....

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
7240_025_2.jpg

This is an Hibiscus in my garden, yours looks very similar to me. :idunno

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am positive that it is a rose of sharon. They are often grow as small trees if trained young. Also as a screen if planted close enough together. They look very similar to a hibiscus but they are way more hardy. Anyway I think that the garden centers often bulk label things. Like lumping all rose of sharon/hibiscus together.

TheNewBee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thanks so much! I am totally going with the rose of sharon....
1~it looks like that in all the web pics & from what I've read &
2~that answer just makes me completely happy :throw

thanks for giving my beautiful tree a name.lol. :woot

GPN

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Warthog said:
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/7240_025_2.jpg

This is an Hibiscus in my garden, yours looks very similar to me. :idunno
The pollen parts are different if you look at the pictures you post and the open flower picture posted :)

I have Rose Of Sharon seeds dring on ours right now, I have the white, purple, and pink. PM me and I will send some out to you

impis

Sprout
Reaction score
Rose of Sharon IS a Hibiscus!!!

Well, according to this site it is, anyway:

http://treesandshrubs.about.com/od/commonshrubs/p/RoseofSharon.htm

However, here in the uk, your plant would be a Hibiscus. Rose of sharon is a Hypericum - as seen on this web page:

http://www.findmeplants.co.uk/plant-hypericum-calycinum-1301.aspx

I am a teacher of horticulture. Your plant is a hibiscus. It is not a hypericum. I'm not sure how the common names came to be mixed up, but hibiscus is the correct name for your shrub.

ritblak

Sprout
Reaction score
They tend to grow into small trees, if trained young. In addition, as a screen, if planted close enough together. They look very similar, but the way they are more durable hibiscus. Anyway, I think that the garden centers of the volume label things.

Latest posts