What did We Learn?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Love yams which are actually sweet potatoes. DD does them in the oven with brown sugar and butter, I just slice and top with brown sugar and butter, cover with saran wrap.
Put them in the microwave for 5 minute...done. Can't tell the difference between hers and mine. Unless you are going for a caramelized finish I couldn't tell the difference. I'll have to try the oj sounds good.
Annette

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I learned that Celeriac does not do well here, even in a year that is not that hot or dry. The tuber got dark and some had cavities in them. The tubers just did not get very big. I just don't think they are meant for this climate. I always try something different, something I've never tried before. This year it was celeriac, I have no idea what it will be next year. Celeriac wasn't a total waste though, I dehydrated a lot of the tops and will use that as a substitute celery seasoning.

I tried a different planting technique for some of Bluejay's beans. I tried spacing out my peppers and eggplants and planting a bean in between each plant to help isolate them so they would not cross as easily and thinking I might use space a little more efficiently. It did not work, I did not leave enough room, especially for the bush beans. Some of them got crowded out. I'll abandon that attempt, to do it right I'd have to use a lot of space. Too inefficient.

I normally try to plant certain seeds just before a rain is forecast. That way they get watered in and I normally get good germination. When I tried that with some of my beans I didn't just get a rain I got a full week with pretty constant rain. It was a cold rain, the temperature dropped quite a bit, including ground temperature from all that cold rainwater soaking in. It was probably a combination of the ground staying saturated and the ground temperature dropping but I got horrible germination. Next year don't just look at whether or not it is forecast to rain, look at how muich and what the temperature might do.