what did you all do for earth day?

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We went to the movie Disney's Planet Earth.. if you go opening week they will plant a tree for each ticket purchased.. and we bought an old style mower :mow one that looks like this one. no motor..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you, the tree, and the fresh air, Smom.

I thought about the first Earth Day . . . that's because I'm older than dirt :/.

That was after I'd planted 100 dahlias. Then I remembered that it was Earth Day.

I should have done something more worthwhile for the day . . . but I suppose that the feeling might count for a little something :p. Maybe I'll do better thru the next 364.

Steve

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wore a cute recycled hand made shirt to work and got called "Earth Girl". Also my husband and I talked about what type of tree to buy to plant this weekend for earth and arbor day while watching the chickens eat cucumber scraps.

What about everyone else?

aee96

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I pulled lots of weeds and harvested some onions and broccoli.

aee96

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I really didn't do much. We shut our lights all off at 9pm for 10 minutes. Other then that, in the last month I've planted 10 trees and plenty of flowers... so I think I'm good.

I did seperate our recycling materials and compostables yesterday while cleaning the kitchen. But I do that every week.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well I didn't necessarily do anything intentional, because I guess I kind of feel like every day is earth day.

I gave up on the rain coming this week and watered some of my newly planted seeds. Then I went and cut some willow twigs to make willow tea (see thread about aspirin), since I've never actually done it before and could use both some rooting hormone and a foliar spray right now. So . . .

I was out trimming willow branches on the edge of our property, feeling grateful for the natural resources around me. It started to rain a really good soaking rain, so I was also thankful for the rain. :D I think it was the most peaceful moment that I have had in some time.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I was out trimming willow branches on the edge of our property, feeling grateful for the natural resources around me. It started to rain a really good soaking rain, so I was also thankful for the rain. :D I think it was the most peaceful moment that I have had in some time.
That is awesome!

I am going to cut some willow today to make the juice/tea stuff as well.

This is what I read in my gardening book about it:

"Willow water is an all-natural rooting hormone that's a cinch to make. Crush 12" long willow cuttings to loosen the wood fibers, then cut the mashed branches into 2" long pieces. Fill a jar with the willow pieces, then cover them with water and let the mix stand for a couple of days before using it."

It also said the spring is the best time to do it while the leaves are the light green from fresh growth!

The mix should last you weeks when stored properly.

ETA: Going to repost this in the asprin thread.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, vfem, I caught up with you in the aspirin thread about the recipe. At the risk of repeating myself, I appreciate the info about spring being the best time to do this, because I wasn't actually sure if you wanted the new spring growth in the mix. Good to know it is all good.

I hope you have a fun willow cutting session too! I got a kick out of the fact that I felt a little like a witchy woman, with a pot of boiling willow water. LOL

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I like the fact the book lets me to beat the branches with a hammer or baseball bat to crush the branches! It makes me feel evil too. But knowing I'm bringing like and a boost to my other plants makes me feel better. ;)

Latest posts