1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What did you can (freeze, dehydrate, preserve) today?

Discussion in 'The Harvest: Recipes, Canning, Preserving' started by Mosquito, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Sep 3, 2008
    janetnjim

janetnjim Garden Ornament

58 pints of a mix of B&B and Dill pickles. Now i got 2 bushels of pears to can.
    Wish i could git my camera workin. :(

2. Sep 3, 2008
    janetnjim

Ya know girl, havin a son like you got is a reflection on his parents. He truely demonstrates that he has good Christian parents that raised him with love.For both he and our Lord. :happy_flower

3. Sep 3, 2008
    mirime

mirime Garden Ornament

:ep wowzer!!!

I think I have only done about 20 1/2 pints all together! sigh, I'm so lame!

4. Sep 5, 2008
    blurose

blurose Garden Ornament

I cut up and froze (in three seperate canning jars) yellow bell peppers, orange bell peppers and red bell peppers. I also saved the seeds from these store-bought peppers as my own fizzled out really early in the season, producing 2 dudds that just dried up about halfway through maturing. By slicing them up and freezing them in jars I can pull out just what I need when I need it and they taste nearly like fresh ones. I keep them for about 6 months or so, if they last that long. I only did 3 big peppers of each color. On a more personal note, I don't care for bell peppers that are still green. They give me terrible heartburn every time, and my absolute least favorite dish is stuffed green peppers (which happens to be my dad's fave so I had it alot as a kid.) Can that be called "child abuse," I wonder? :eek:

5. Sep 5, 2008
    me&thegals

me&thegals Garden Ornament

Blurose--that sounds wonderful! Speaking of stuffed peppers, my family hates, hates, hates them! Nuts! I've even tried with sweet reds instead, but I think the association is still too strong.

I made 7 quarts of fresh salsa to give to family for gifts, for a family get-together tonight and to enjoy for the next few weeks here at home. I'm so lazy, I even leave the skins on!

6. Sep 6, 2008
    blurose

blurose Garden Ornament

I cheated! Since my pole beans mostly got eaten up by critters, I went to my local farm stand and purchased 25 lbs. of green beans to can. I got them all trimmed and cut ready for canning tomorrow. Hope I've got enough empty jars for the beans and my soon to be bumper roma tomato crop. I find that since my gastric surgery, I cannot digest fresh or frozen green beans so freezing them is out of the picture.

7. Sep 7, 2008
    blurose

blurose Garden Ornament

OK, that 25 lbs of green beans turned into 20 qts. of canned green beans and 5 gl. bags of frozen. NOTE TO SELF: never buy that many green beans again! :p I also canned 6 pints of salsa from my first good tomato harvest. Sorry, I'm a REALLY bad photographer.

[​IMG]

8. Sep 7, 2008
    janetnjim

Last night i did 5 more pints of stuffed hot banana peppers,that makes 12 pints and 2 quarts so far, and 11.5 more pints o' tomato juice,that makes 20 pints so far.
    I still gotta get to those pears. :/

9. Sep 7, 2008
    rockytopsis

rockytopsis Garden Ornament

What did you stuff the banana peppers with?

10. Sep 8, 2008
    janetnjim

HI Nancy,
    Simply with very thinly sliced cabbage. Janet says that her brine is water and apple cider vinegar.....2/1 and spices are 1 tsp salt,1 tsp mustard seed and 1 garlic clove(cut in half) per pint.
    I jist do all the cuttin and stuffin and havin a burnin throat and burnin skin and burnin eyes :lol: but MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm they smell sooo goood :love
    Wish i couold eat 'em like she does :he :hit