What did you can (freeze, dehydrate, preserve) today?

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
58 pints of a mix of B&B and Dill pickles. Now i got 2 bushels of pears to can.
Wish i could git my camera workin. :(

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I haven't got a chance to can a thing yet, but my boy (22 yr. old) has tried his hand at it for the first time. With a little coaching over the phone from my mother, he is canning up all my tomatoes for me and freezing the corn. Love that boy! In between canning he has organized and cleaned all my cabinets, cleaned the house, keeps the laundry done up and cooks supper. Its like having a maid who WILL do windows! I'm loving this! :D

Been working a lot of extra hours lately, so I will be giving him some recompense for all this additional labor. Don't normally pay my kids for chores, but anything over and beyond, completely unsolicited, deserves something more than a hug and a pat on the back, don't you think? :bouquet
Ya know girl, havin a son like you got is a reflection on his parents. He truely demonstrates that he has good Christian parents that raised him with love.For both he and our Lord. :happy_flower

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
janetnjim said:
58 pints of a mix of B&B and Dill pickles. Now i got 2 bushels of pears to can.
Wish i could git my camera workin. :(
:ep wowzer!!!

I think I have only done about 20 1/2 pints all together! sigh, I'm so lame!

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I cut up and froze (in three seperate canning jars) yellow bell peppers, orange bell peppers and red bell peppers. I also saved the seeds from these store-bought peppers as my own fizzled out really early in the season, producing 2 dudds that just dried up about halfway through maturing. By slicing them up and freezing them in jars I can pull out just what I need when I need it and they taste nearly like fresh ones. I keep them for about 6 months or so, if they last that long. I only did 3 big peppers of each color. On a more personal note, I don't care for bell peppers that are still green. They give me terrible heartburn every time, and my absolute least favorite dish is stuffed green peppers (which happens to be my dad's fave so I had it alot as a kid.) Can that be called "child abuse," I wonder? :eek:

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Blurose--that sounds wonderful! Speaking of stuffed peppers, my family hates, hates, hates them! Nuts! I've even tried with sweet reds instead, but I think the association is still too strong.

I made 7 quarts of fresh salsa to give to family for gifts, for a family get-together tonight and to enjoy for the next few weeks here at home. I'm so lazy, I even leave the skins on!

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I cheated! Since my pole beans mostly got eaten up by critters, I went to my local farm stand and purchased 25 lbs. of green beans to can. I got them all trimmed and cut ready for canning tomorrow. Hope I've got enough empty jars for the beans and my soon to be bumper roma tomato crop. I find that since my gastric surgery, I cannot digest fresh or frozen green beans so freezing them is out of the picture.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OK, that 25 lbs of green beans turned into 20 qts. of canned green beans and 5 gl. bags of frozen. NOTE TO SELF: never buy that many green beans again! :p I also canned 6 pints of salsa from my first good tomato harvest. Sorry, I'm a REALLY bad photographer.

001-3.jpg

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Last night i did 5 more pints of stuffed hot banana peppers,that makes 12 pints and 2 quarts so far, and 11.5 more pints o' tomato juice,that makes 20 pints so far.
I still gotta get to those pears. :/

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
janetnjim said:
Last night i did 5 more pints of stuffed hot banana peppers,that makes 12 pints and 2 quarts so far, and 11.5 more pints o' tomato juice,that makes 20 pints so far.
What did you stuff the banana peppers with?

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
rockytopsis said:
janetnjim said:
What did you stuff the banana peppers with?
HI Nancy,
Simply with very thinly sliced cabbage. Janet says that her brine is water and apple cider vinegar.....2/1 and spices are 1 tsp salt,1 tsp mustard seed and 1 garlic clove(cut in half) per pint.
I jist do all the cuttin and stuffin and havin a burnin throat and burnin skin and burnin eyes :lol: but MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm they smell sooo goood :love
Wish i couold eat 'em like she does :he :hit

Latest posts