What did you can (freeze, dehydrate, preserve) today?

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oh, it's always wonderful! The kids eat bowls of the stuff which always grosses me out a little since I tend to think of this soup as that soup I use in casseroles, not as a meal all by itself but it really does taste good.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't have anything to preserve but I did purchase a jar of stawberry preserves for $9 today. Dang, that is expensive but I consider myself addicted.

SouthDakotaRose

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Last week I pulled out the last of the frozen raspberries I stashed last summer when there was no time to do preserves. Made up another triple batch of freezer raspberry jam to enjoy. So good you can eat it with a spoon! Which unfortunately I do too often! :)

That and the last of the frozen strawberries are finally all made up into jam. Well, during the summer, there are so many things to do, save the jam making for winter when the smells keep summer moods going even if it is snowing outside. :)

SouthDakotaRose

VT Chicklit

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Canned chicken yesterday. Our local supermarket had a deal on chicken legs, 39 cents a pound. I bought 10 pounds and deboned them and canned the meat. I had never canned any meat before, so I was surprised that the 10 pounds of legs only produced 5 pints of meat and 2 additional pints of broth. A lot of work for such a small return. I calculated out the cost and I think it cost me about $1.25 a jar.

tommywalnuts

Sprout
Reaction score
We got a dehydrator this past weekend. So far I have made about 3.5 lbs. of beef jerky, and just finished up some apples. Man are they sweet!!!

the-metal-peddler

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This post is about a month late :rolleyes:

40lbs of deer meat that I harvested during muzzle loader season.

If you have never tried canned deer meat, that is if you like deer meat.... WOW!!! You dunno what your missing.

Cast iron skillet, a little pork fat, 1 quart of meat, 1/4 stick of butter, 2 cups of milk, pepper to taste. Great over toast, taters, biscuts and right over eggs.

keljonma

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Last week I dehydrated mushrooms, orange peels, and red bell peppers. (not at the same time)

Total added to the pantry is 1 pint of dried orange peels, 1 pint of dried mushrooms and 1 pint of dried red bell peppers.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
SouthDakotaRose said:
Last week I pulled out the last of the frozen raspberries I stashed last summer when there was no time to do preserves. Made up another triple batch of freezer raspberry jam to enjoy. So good you can eat it with a spoon! Which unfortunately I do too often! :)

That and the last of the frozen strawberries are finally all made up into jam. Well, during the summer, there are so many things to do, save the jam making for winter when the smells keep summer moods going even if it is snowing outside. :)

SouthDakotaRose
I LOVE freezer strawberry jam! I imagine raspberry jam is just as good. I just planted 5 raspberry canes. Maybe next summer I will need that recipe.