What did you can (freeze, dehydrate, preserve) today?

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This week I harvested (rather, just cut) about 2 quarts of rhubarb that I cut into 1 inch pieces and froze. I have been getting lots of great rhubarb recipes from this forum and can't wait to use them!!
My first recipe is rhubarb/strawberry cobbler, then jam.:D

SOON TO COME:
I see that my snap peas are almost about to reach the trellis that I through together last weekend.

Onions, garlic, chives, sage, basil and potatoes are going strong too.

I have about 5 tomato plants inching up as we speak.

I have gooseberry, rasberry and blueberry plants doing something. I am new to this region so I have NO experience with these berries at all. So I don't know when they will be ready for harvest. I am just happy they are established, small but established. Maybe 2 years old.

The lavendar is happy.

The fruit trees are flowering and the MASON BEES are very hard at work on the peach, apple, cherry and pear trees. Will get back to you on their progress in the fall.

My goal is to make BIG batches of apple cider vinegar to use and give to friends or sell at the market next spring. I am currently looking for wooden barrels to store the cider in while it is in the making.

I have been reading EVERYTHING on this forum and I saw that people are canning meats. How do you do this? I would love to know. I was raised as a vegetarian, but I am not opposed to eating meat occasionally...I just never learned how to prepare it.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I let my spincah get WAY out of control. Today I picked about 2 1/2 WHEELBARROW loads and didn't edven finish picking!. Canned some, some is still in the bathtub, and the rest will probably go to the goats....lol. Tomorrow I'm pulling then canning beets (if I don't get rained out).

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I didn't do it yet (I'll edit this post NEXT WEEK,) BUT, we went through all 13 (1/2-pints) of Orange Marmelade that I made in mid-January!!!!!! Gotta make more--My mom is visiting next week for DD's University graduation on May 16th. THIS is on the list of jobs next weekend.

the4heathernsmom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My canner has a leak teeny tiny one in the seal ugghhhh!!!!! Well so the strawberries are frozen......only 3 quart size bags though!

Latest posts