What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is a new season. What did you do in the garden today, yesterday, last week :)?

Two backyard beds have been covered with the temporary hoop house. Seed for Asian greens and escarole has been sown; bok choy transplants have gone in. The flower beds around the house have been cleaned up.

I have now begun in the little veggie garden by leveling a few beds cultivated last year, fertilizing, and planting some seed potatoes, onion sets and pea seed.

What did you do in your gardens :)?

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got the rabbit fencing put up but is still a gap or two at the gate I need to take care of. Dug a bed for potatoes yesterday, and hope to plant them today. Got onion plants in the ground earlier in the week. It seems the ground in the garden is slowly disappearing. With the strong winds on this ridge, it may all be blowing away. I guess I am going to have to have some dirt hauled in. Compost and straw eventually blows away.
DH has been clearing undergrowth and trimming trees. The lawn and trees look great.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I dug up a 3' X 12' area, planted peas and radishes Friday. Not real bright this far north but have plenty of seed. Only calling for a few nights at 30. We'll see if they come up and can survive.

Yesterday, dug horse radish.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted the rest of my sweet onion seed, garlic, broccoli seed, lettuce and carrots, spinach, sugar snap peas, asparagus. Need to get my chive seeds out there today.

I had planted the sweet onion seeds in my son's BTE garden a few days before mine and his are already up.

Taters are up here, those that I planted late last fall. I have more I planted here recently in the compost bin that are not up yet, nor do I expect them to be for some time.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The flower beds are all clipped and raked, crocus are blooming and the tulips all have good growth.
I turned one of my vegetable areas into a blueberry patch, planted 12 of them and I'm super excited about being buried in blueberries one of these years soon.

Cleaned the coop and the stalls yesterday and dumped it all into next years garden spot.
On the vegetable front I'm way behind and reading Steve's activity has me in panic! :eek:

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yesterday was lovely so I planted a few heirloom potatoes in one of the raised beds we weeded, added compost and some other soil amendments to the day before, topped it with straw as a mulch, pole beans will be planted on the netting hung from a frame on the back side.The other raised bed, I put in 3 bean poles to be planted later when weather permits, also seeded a row of lettuce in front.
Dh rototilled the little border bed out front again, had to dig everything out including a big hydrangea last fall, was dreading that but the gal on the back hoe said leave it I can do that for you with one swipe, she did and it is now planted elsewhere :), last year we had a new waterline put in so everything had to go. I'm thinking of moving all my dwarf bearded iris here as they have to come out of another bed in the back that I want for something else, yep it's musical chairs with the plants time again. I also seeded some more lettuce in the greenhouse, the tomatoes need to be potted up a size so that looks like a job I'll be doing this afternoon.
Annette

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a garden marathon today.We celebrated Easter yesterday with a giant dinner party with my sister and family. So many adorable grandchildren of hers and mine!
My son-in -law is very grateful for out babysitting or grandsons and will do anything to help us.So today, He helped us move a mountain of leaf mulch. Our 2 older grandsons were working on their chicken pond. Yes, chicken pound. They have been digging a giant hole in the chicken coup for months. It started out as a chicken trap, but, even a three foot hole was not deep enough to catch a chicken of course. They were disappointed when I told them chickens would not likely go for a swim. I said, "Well maybe we could get ducks! Boy, did their eyes light up. I think I have enough animals, however.
So I did a ton of daylily weeding and garden tilling. Need to ice my back!