What Did You Do In The Garden?

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My cucumbers do not look good. I am going to put some more seed in. Not sure why. Some are gone, so I think birds pulled them up, but I am not sure. The squash look good, but also some are gone. My peppers usually are just the best looking plant in the garden, but they look awful and I think root bound in cups waiting for warm weather. I have peas on my plants, not many. Pole beans are starting to really take off. The kale and collards I should start freezing some. My cabbage is trying to make heads. I have some lettuce and the Swiss chard is just taking its time this year. I do have some small tomatoes on plants and flowers. It is sunny and going to be 80 today and I will have to water today.
Your garden progress sounds like mine! I replanted cucumbers no less than 4 times. Even started some inside, planted them out, and had to replant those as well! Here I think it was a combination of cold wet weather, followed by bird thieves eating off tender sprouts. Yesterday I noticed some of them are getting a second true leaf. Finally!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' , we are growing bodacious sweet corn, a variety you suggested some years back. Not sure if we will get any ears this season or not, maybe just practice Corn growing.

The huckleberry shrubs we picked up are called evergreen huckleberry. Part sun to shade grower. Here are pics of the tag.
312E4CB4-0199-4D08-952C-4853FCC092D2.jpeg
0E2207BA-3C83-4FCA-B24D-EB550FCADD27.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow. Just looking at Wikipedia and the USDA plant database. (Calflora also has information and range for that huckleberry.) I had no idea that there were so many species of wild huckleberry. Vaccinium caespitosum, Vaccinium membranaceum, Vaccinium ovalifolium. Vaccinium ovation.

Cucumbers. I have several cucumber varieties. I can just about say that none of them have grown. Or, are only now beginning to grow.

I planted peas on the windy side in one part of the garden. Of course, the vines are making no use of the trellis on the side where the wind hits them. Meanwhile, the 2' path on the other side required extra stakes and string so that we can walk there. The peas grew well and really block the wind at ground level. What's there? My winter squash.

Micro-climates ... the squash are doing just dandy. The cucumbers are in another location and they, and the melons, are struggling. Maybe that's something for me to have learned, these vining ~ ground hugging ~ plants do not like the wind.

Steve

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I sneak out about dusk and weed every night now, until the bugs send me running for the house. I only live a few hours from ducks, but it is so dry here I am watering multiple times a week. They sprayed the fields around the house yesterday with something that stinks and I'm stuck inside until it rains again. The wind was blowing just right to get it all through my yard... I'll have to work for hours to catch up when I can make it back out there, but it's not worth the migraine to go out now.

The first tomatoes are turning, I am harvesting chard and hot peppers every few days, and will have cucumbers and zucchini before the end of the week. My bell pepper plants just aren't growing this year, but I can get them pretty cheap at the farmer's market.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@digitS' , we are growing bodacious sweet corn, a variety you suggested some years back. Not sure if we will get any ears this season or not, maybe just practice Corn growing.

The huckleberry shrubs we picked up are called evergreen huckleberry. Part sun to shade grower. Here are pics of the tag.View attachment 36091View attachment 36092
Bodacious is our favorite corn! Where did you find the huckleberry? I planted two that I ordered as bare root and they never grew.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aces is best sweet corn I’ve grown. Excellent cold tolerance, early vigor, decent size ear and sweet, sweet, sweet.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS'
Micro-climates ... the squash are doing just dandy. The cucumbers are in another location and they, and the melons, are struggling.

I am having trouble with the melons and cucumbers also

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aces is best sweet corn I’ve grown. Excellent cold tolerance, early vigor, decent size ear and sweet, sweet, sweet.
"Excellent cold tolerance" ..? But, it's a Supersweet!

Maybe we can now have a supersweet in this semi-alpine part of the world. OKay, it's probably not considered semi-alpine ;).

Sugar Buns is DW's favorite fer sum reason. It is an SE corn and I originally thought that all SE varieties had good cold soil tolerance but, the information on Sugar Buns has been that it doesn't. Still, it's always done well but - it was like with only one try with a Supersweet - and I accepted the idea that those varieties didn't like cold soil. However, this country may have the right July & August weather for sweetcorn. They just has to survive spring.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My previous favorite was Illiñi super sweet. All you had to tell that seed was that it gets cold in winter and it wouldn’t germ. Aces, I planted in first part of April and got an excellent stand. Couldn't take 20 degree nights and froze.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
YIKES, I have not visited this page in ages, Everyone has been busy :) We ( I mean DH) have/has picked bags full of pea! We have spent many hours shelling them. Today I put 2 GALLONS of them in the freezer to enjoy this winter. And all of a sudden the zucchini have started to produce. Especially the yellow. I am never going to be able to use it all or keep up! We can hardly keep ahead of the weeds. We are Hot in the upper 80's tp lower 90's and VERY Humid. Ugh. We NEED rain too.

Latest posts