What Did You Do In The Garden?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The 2 times that I have tried to grow favas, they absolutely burned up. Hot dry weather also seemed to encourage the aphids to attack them.
I really wish I could post a photo...

Favas' known intolerance for heat was the reason I hesitated to grow them. They look terrible in the summer heat, and were wilting & dying. But I wondered whether it was hot air, or warm soil, that caused their distress. So I heavily mulched 1/2 of the row, and kept both sides irrigated.

So in place of a photo, I'll just have to use 1000 words. :rolleyes: (or not)

The unmulched side is blackened, and nearly all dead. The mulched side has mostly recovered, and is now beginning to grow again. We finally had about 1/2" of rain last night, and they look even stronger today. Who knows, I might get seed yet. :fl

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I really wish I could post a photo...

Favas' known intolerance for heat was the reason I hesitated to grow them. They look terrible in the summer heat, and were wilting & dying. But I wondered whether it was hot air, or warm soil, that caused their distress. So I heavily mulched 1/2 of the row, and kept both sides irrigated.

So in place of a photo, I'll just have to use 1000 words. :rolleyes: (or not)

The unmulched side is blackened, and nearly all dead. The mulched side has mostly recovered, and is now beginning to grow again. We finally had about 1/2" of rain last night, and they look even stronger today. Who knows, I might get seed yet. :fl
I've planted fava beans three times and this is the first year I harvested back what I planted 😂. Do you think they would do OK in a greenhouse overwinter? I'm in zone 7.
I want to grow them because Mexican bean beetles don't bother them and they like to grow. Just fry in the heat. I feel bad for the. 😂.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman, do you always move your photos from your cellphone camera to your computer before posting on a website?

I once used photobucket and tinypic to "host" my pictures. I didn't expect tinypic to have it available very long and they didn't. Photobucket wanted to charge big $ and made that change suddenly. I changed my ways ;).

My apple phone does a fairly good job with photos. My tablet cameras, not so much ... I haven't used the Samsung for photographs – let me give that a try ...

20230713_170738.jpg
Weellll, that is not so wonderful ... but it is a photo taken moments ago in my backyard. And, I stand corrected. Sam shows me that I have taken a photo before but it was a picture of a picture, not quite something from LIFE.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've planted fava beans three times and this is the first year I harvested back what I planted 😂. Do you think they would do OK in a greenhouse overwinter? I'm in zone 7.
I want to grow them because Mexican bean beetles don't bother them and they like to grow. Just fry in the heat. I feel bad for the. 😂.
Its possible. When I lived in San Jose, I observed favas being grown over the winter. Apparently like peas, they will take a light frost. If your greenhouse stays above freezing - but doesn't over-heat during the day - they should do well.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman, do you always move your photos from your cellphone camera to your computer before posting on a website?
Yes, because I have computer folders for everything in my collection, and its easy to post photos here directly from the computer. Up until now - even a week ago - I've had no difficulty. The computer & phone both went through updates, so one of those must have caused an incompatibility.

I too posted photos via PB back in the GW years, and dropped it when they suddenly went from "free" to pricey. They basically held photos I'd previously uploaded under the free version hostage, unless I paid their "ransom". :mad:

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 58719
Today’s harvest/3 = umm, the most of them, anyway :), with the vines just out of the starting gate …
🐎 …
I am eating one right now. A friend told me she takes them and cuts in chunks and puts ranch dressing on them and seasons. Sprinkles Parmesan cheese on top and cooks for about 10 minutes at 475. I have been having that for like a snack while doing other things in the kitchen.

Latest posts