What did YOU do in your garden today :P

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It rained a little this morning, but that's the great thing about raised beds....you can still get out there and work 'em! So ahead of the next round of rain, DD6 and I hurried to plant a few cabbage, brussel sprouts, shallots, beets, parsley and about a half pound each of red and yellow onion sets.

Our starts are doing great too and I need to get a pic of those up on the other thread.

I have in mind to start another flat of flowers today, mostly black poppies and who knows what else I feel like. Got a few baskets of laundry staring me down too, so hopefully I'll get to that today (the laundry that is, ha. :tongue) I know my priorities! :D

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@canesisters
:lol: I have been reading that thread, I just haven't posted. I was considering doing just that, but when I first joined, I joined to ask about growing potatoes in straw. Everybody gave me great info, but It seems nobody here has successfully accomplished it. So I promised to do an experiment using three different methods. Basically I'm going to build two Henley potato boxes,( one "the control" will have dirt and the other "the variable" will have straw) and grow the potatoes the Henley method. I am also going to build two Irish eye potato boxes (again a "control" with dirt, and a "variable" with straw), and grow them the Irish eye way. And the overall control will be grown the "old fashion" way in a hill of dirt.
http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/growing-potatoes-in-straw.14777/page-5
This experiment will tell if I am capable of growing potatoes in straw, and if it is unsuccessful which method will give me the highest yield in dirt, thus determining how I will grow my potatoes from next year onward.:old

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I washed out all my plastic pots (I use them over again every year). That is probably my least favorite chore every year. The water is so cold and I have a lot of pots to wash! I buy plugs from a wholesaler in Florida for my flower baskets and pots and they arrived yesterday, so I will need those pots. Tomorrow I will transplant the plugs into the pots and start filling up the greenhouse. The dahlia tubers that I saved from last year look like they made it so will pot them tomorrow also. The seeds I started last week and the week before are not ready to be transplanted yet so I won't have to worry about them for a week or so. Busy time of year!

If I goofed up and already posted this, apology in advance :th

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kathiesgarden, sounds like you are off to a great start! I haven't been out in my gardens yet, but I am happy to report that the chickens are working very hard for me out there. Anxious to see if I notice a difference in the bug population...

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lesa, I would love to hear about your chickens. Do they eat slugs? Can you turn them loose in your garden without them damaging the plants? I am talking to my husband about getting a few. Do you go for meat chickens or egg layers? I live in a residential area where the lots are about 1 acre each and a few people in the area have chickens and I'm kind of intrigued with them. Do you have areas where the chickens create problems in your yard? I have a lot to learn about chickens.

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Still washing out pots...
Potted up the dahlias that I saved from last summer. Looks like most of them made it! :) I tried an experiment, storing some in peat moss and some in wood shavings (not sawdust). I had more rotted tubers in the shavings than I did in the peat moss. I'll stick to peat moss or coir next fall for saving the tubers.
Tomorrow I start potting up the calibrachoa. We are having pretty good weather (50's) and it is nice to be outside. The greenhouse will soon be full with my little bloomers!
Hope those of you who are still battling old man winter get a break soon.