What did YOU do in your garden today :P

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Planted some broccoli, spinach, chard, lettuce, and carrots.

Eyed the first of the asparagus that should be ready to pick tomorrow.

Spotted a few of the snow peas peeking up.

Worried over the potatoes still not peeking through the dirt.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet that she loves being able to share her knowledge with you. It's so nice when our offspring are interested in the same things we are!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I called my grandma and asked her about gardening. I have pages of notes. :) Going to call back today for yet more gardening info.
You are blessed to still have your Grandma to ask her about gardening. Pat yourself on the back for wanting to know NOW and not years after she's gone and you lost your opportunity. You have a gold mine of information in your Grandma and her years of experience. Kudos to you for listening to her. :thumbsup

My earliest memories are of toddling behind my Daddy in his garden. I absorbed his knowledge as every day was a teaching day. I have sat on the ground with my tiny grand daughter in my lap, handing her one squash seed at a time and letting her fling it toward the dirt. (then I picked it up and put it in the proper place.) She is soon to be 7 years old and every time we have her for a weekend, I try to have a project for us to do. We plant, we dig potatoes, we pick vegetables, we play with chicks/ducklings, we gather eggs and we butcher chickens. I try to teach her how to be able to provide for herself.

You now have the opportunity to teach and pass on the information you receive. You now have the opportunity to use the information you learn to provide for your own family. Food is the common denominator that ties us all together. Some of us just "get it" better than others do. :clap

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Nothing OUTSIDE, except empty soiled bedding.
I transplanted DH's beefsteak heirloom tomato seedlings. They were started in a 12 cell greenhouse in jiffy pots. Practically every single seed and ALL of the extras germinated--not ready to to practice any "Hunger Games" reaping on them YET!
I put each jiffy pot and 1 1/2" tall seedling into a bigger pot. I bought those 5 inch deep, ~4 inch diameter recycled materials (probably newspaper and sawdust) pots, filled with starter soil over the top and 1/2 way up each stem to stabilize it, watered, then put a 1-2" plastic or styrofoam dish underneath, and filled the dishes with water, so I can water underneath. These I put inside a 10 inch x 4 foot plastic window planter, and put THAT on top of a piece of wood secured on top of a radiator. This is all by a south facing window that has a storm window on the outside. I know that the radiator will provide heat and they'll get all day sun.
It's right next to our dining room table. We won't forget to water them (from underneath) there. As they get taller I will fill in with starter soil. I've been thinking about starting tomato plants like this since last Fall!!!!
I also started lettuce in two quart sized plastic water bottles and a reused, plastic, Q-Tip container with a plastic bag around it for a greenhouse. All the lettuces are now on the south window of my east facing, enclosed porch. (It's like how apartment dwellers are growing lettuce in soda bottles in their windows.)
Now I can work all week and check on their growth all next weekend without watering!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted 8 tomatoes, a six-pack of kale, a marconi pepper, jalapeno pepper, an eggplant, and lettuce seeds.

I am really excited about the marconi. I remember Lesa raves about it and so do a lot of you. I'm wondering if 1 plant is enough?

I'm a little sore but in an hour we're going to see The Grand Budapest Hotel and then going out to dinner at the place my son works, yea! :weee

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm still not quite to the garden but covered the 2 garden beds in the backyard here at home with the hoops and plastic film today!

It was 53°f this afternoon and sunny with no wind! I didn't get a window in but hung the door. So Late this year! I guess it is okay. There are bok choy plants that can go in immediately.

I'm gonna go out there and check the temperature in the bed that wasn't covered. I'll edit that in later. The little bit of soil that I moved around seemed drier than I expected! Maybe, I can get on to the "real" garden beds soon.

Steve
eta: 46° at about 3", 6pm sun on soil thru day

Last edited:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just raking one of the camps today between squalls.