What did YOU do in your garden today :P

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, I forget, did you ever figure the mystery of the Irises?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I dug out weeds, planted store clearance tulips, creeping phlox, and a groundcover and 3 clearance mini roses I've been growing in my basement windows all winter. I also filled in with onions starts under my raised crown pine trees, where the weeds have had their LAST heyday!
I took the grass that I dug out to put in my magnolia tree and used them as sod where the salt by my side door sidewalk had killed a stretch. I dug out the used dirt, scooped in some compost and placed them, then heavily watered. Sod is the BEST!!! :D

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, I forget, did you ever figure the mystery of the Irises?

You mean the color changing thing? Nope. I divided them up and doubled the bed size last year so there weren't a whole lot of blooms then. So far this year just a few small ones of the original 'regular' purple. Waiting to see if there are any yellow and bi-color ones this year.
Gardening is, for me, sort of magic anyway - so the weird colors coming out of no where are just part of the joy of it.

ETA:
Whoops! I took a good look at them Sun afternoon and there are at least 4 that are going to be yellow! :)
DSCF0551.JPG

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I spent 3 hours scrubbing the deck floor with a deck cleaner. While spouse and son played pool. Then son came up, saw me, hooked up the power washer, and finished the deck in no time - no cleaner needed.

My deck looks like new. Tomorrow I intend to stain the deck "Natural Cedar" for color and protection.

In the garden, I spread some of last year's chicken compost, spread a 2.2 cu ft bag of peat moss, and turned everything over with the shovel. Looks pretty good! Then I planted my alliums -- mostly in one bed. Later I will plant the cole crops in that bed. I did that one year before and I swear the cole bugs never found my plants amid the scent of onions.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
did some raking around the yard and trained my dh on how to till the garden! i nearly :th he did a decent job for it being his first time. i did have him work an area that has been tilled for 2 years so the ground is soft enough to not be much of an issue. i was afraid he would have an issue with his balance but he did very well! next week i may have him work a few new areas once he clears them of leaves first. :woot

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not IN the garden yet, but I moved my tomatoes up from the basement so they can be started hardening off.

Plan to get some potatoes planted -- if someone finds it a priority to get a tiller running -- otherwise it is mow the yard for the first time this year.

Latest posts