What Did You Do In Your Garden Today?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't like tobacco, Seedcorn.

I keep waiting for the original poster on this thread to admit that he grows tobacco in amongst his beans. Then, I'm going to be all over him like white on rice!!

No, I won't. My paternal grandmother (who lived into her 90's) chewed tobacco and her grandson, my brother, still does! I've never been able to change his habits. Dad quit smoking . . . before I did :rolleyes:. He was the worst critic of smoking after that . . . ya think I'm bad :/.

And, my understanding is that nicotine insecticide is NOT considered safe and is not listed as "allowed" in organic agriculture.
http://www.omri.org/simple-gml-search/results?page=12

Steve ;)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I had 2 short little Hopi Tobacco plants in among my beans, and 10 Scherazi Tobacco plants among my Peas.

Natural Nicotine is organic, made by nature in a plant. But I have not had to make a nicotine concoction to get Whiteflies since early 2007.

I don't think anyone has ever patented my nicotine concoction of tobacco tea with a teaspoon per gallon of shampoo. Yet.

=====

Got the Tepary Beans planted into the back, east bed. Earliest I ever planted Beans. Soil is only minimally warm enough. Watered them in with lukewarm water. That's what they'll get for a week or so.

My water: So far this year my garden has only received my drinking water, some of which is triple filtered reverse osmosis, and some is tap water from upper Lake, sometimes spring water from one of 2 awesome pure springs.

I am not using water from our water system yet. It was charged with chlorine last month to about the level of a swimming pool. I've been testing it every couple weeks and it is still above level 5 on the color chart. Once it gets to 5 or less then I'll use that. Sometime in May. I can also use lake water, just haven't tried to yet. I think I will, first on my test plants, the Huechera. Oh. I tested to see how Huechera withstand Bone Meal. They LOVE Bone Meal. See, Huechera prefer slightly acidic soil, but they also thrive when there is plenty Calcium. Go figure.

====

The tepary beans are planted around short stakes. The stakes are interwoven with twine.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you think you could send me some seed for that ♪ ♫ Hopi Tobacco, ♪ ♫ Marshall ♪ ♫?
:barnie

Don't.you.dare!

trembling digitS'

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also heeled in the grape rootstock cuttings that took in the clay pot last year.

Lol, don't worry I won't. but the scherazi make beautiful petunia like flowers on a stalk 5 or 6 feet up.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Found some flowers on our trip to town yesterday and a couple of goodies. :clap Put a black laceleaf elderberry out back, and transplanted some more of the veggie seedlings into bigger pots again. There is a pack of pansies, snaps and allyssum in the greenhouse waiting til I can put them in my barrels. The little greenhouse has worked out so well in all these high winds, I can hardly believe it. The little turkeys are loving it in there, the heater is keeping it nice and warm.

They get all excited when they see me and come running out to greet me. It's gonna be hard eating these guys!

The only downside is trying to bend all the way to the ground to unzip the door, so I talked Randyman into putting a REAL door on it. Can't wait! Then I will flank it with the whiskey barrels full of flowers :weee

The LGD's were locked up with the sheep yesterday and one of the hens that had refused to go back in the coop before we left got snatched. It's the first critter we have lost since we got the dogs. Shows how effective they have been, in spite of all the area they have to cover. It looks like a hawk got her, a pile of feathers is all that's left. So today one dog is out with the sheep and the other is in the yard, babysitting the two turkey poults. I guess one of the dogs will have to live with the 50 meaties until they are all processed. Wish I had 1 more!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those guardian dogs sure are special!

That greenhouse is awesome!

I vote for keeping the Turkeys as pets and fertilizer makers.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
retiredwith4acres said:
Anyone else that makes plans of things to do and nothing works out that way?
Had one yesterday as a matter of fact. :) I got home and changed clothes and JUST as I was walking out to start up that weedeater my Dad comes up the hill. He had picked up new blades for the riding lawnmower that we share. He said, "Think you can put these on?" and I said, "Think I can give it a try." 30mins later I call "THE LAWNMOWER GUY" aka neighbor down the road. The 3 of us finally manage to get them on and I'm looking forward to some weedeating, when Dad says, "Did you ever get that old mower going?" and CY says "Yeah, you really need to get those pastures mowed." Next thing I know, the OLD mower is in the drive and 2 hrs later that one is running. Dad & CY take off into the pasture - NOT "mowing", mind you, just cutting paths and circles to 'see how the mowers are running'. Finally the boys are done playing and the mowers are put away. It's starting to head toward dusk so I spend the rest of the afternoon weeding around the garden. Never even started the weedeater up.
There's always tomorrow :/

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Petey, looks like you have a tom and hen there! i can see the size difference already between them. they will follow you around like puppy dogs so just don't get attached! :rolleyes: it just makes it harder when it's time to process.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
One thing that could be done is make sure the rocks that grew during winter have been pulled before mowing.

Oh boy guess what...Mowed pasture=Makins for Mt. Rotmore North slope!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know!!!! Now if only I can figure out how to rig up some sort of bagger or collection device. I've got a small trailer... I've got some super flimsy cheapo paneling... But HOW to connect the mower discharge to the trailer???????

I'm still scouting a spot for Son of Rotmore. :lol: With 2 pastures, the paddock, the yards & Dad's place: I could have several feet of grass by summer's end.

Latest posts