What Did You Do In Your Garden Today?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
For today I really need to get several loads of compost for that north middle bed! Want to get the east side of it ready to go.

Also need to switch gears and plant a flat of Bean seeds to be ready to plant early in May.

Also need to get the seeds to plant lined up in a separate box.

To decide if the 2 Lettuce plants will be allowed to go to seed or if I'll eat them. They are growing perfectly for eating. No sign of bolting at all. Actually, that means they are perfect for seed plants. One is purebred Freckles, the other seems to be half Freckles and half Deer Tongue. Where those 2 are I had planted some Freckles seed and some 2006 Lettuce seed Mix I'd saved from when I lived in Montana, actually hoping for some to be crossed. I guess the Lolla Rossa and Mascara seed in it did not sprout. Neither did the Four Seasons that had an Italian name I can't remember, Miraviglia de Quattro Saisons, something like that. Crossed Lettuce seed seems to last longer stored. I believe I'll let them go to seed, and hopefully cross again. When left to themselves, 2 Lettuce plants blooming near each other at the same time seem to get a good percentage crossed. Me like that.

So, should be a busy day. I'd best put my big boy pants and boots on! Even though my jaw still aches from the extractions.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I watered it! :p

Only a few last minute touches are still needed to the largest bed as seen here. The main bed on the east side of the back lawn is done, and the front garden is done. What do you think of my aerial view? I took the picture from the 2nd floor bedroom window.

5842_garden_spring2013.jpg

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
that's looks so great vfem. full of possibilities.

yesterday I pulled greens that were done. some went in the cooking pot, some went in the compost.
I've got tomatoes growing up through field peas & oats. I planted these two as a cover crop & they were late coming up. now they're taller than the tomato plants. after tomorrow i'll pull/cut them but we've got a storm system coming tomorrow & it might hail. all that growth may help save the tomato plants.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
BJ, that would be wonderful luck to have to cover crops stay there! Sometimes Mother Nature has bigger plans for you. Something that wasn't meant to happen, could be a real blessing! ;)

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
Petey, looks like you have a tom and hen there! i can see the size difference already between them. they will follow you around like puppy dogs so just don't get attached! :rolleyes: it just makes it harder when it's time to process.
I know! *sigh* I have already decided that someone else will have to catch and dispatch these two, and I am determined to get a pair of Bourbon Reds that I CAN keep as pets LOL

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I am just back to a greenhouse at 63 & a hoop house at 62. It's okay and the WS was more right about the weather than I was so, it was okay.

Okay, my feet hurt! Spaded out 100 sqft of a bed for gladiolas. Finished cultivating that 2nd bed for onions and did a little planting.

Walla Walla and Ovation onions. I like Ovation. I know that I'm supposed to like Walla Walla but, there are some shortcomings there. Ovation is considered a "sweet" onion but it is kind of "just barely" in that group. Pretty . good . keeper. I mean, there you go.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got that middle north, east side of it bed done, and the west side partway done.

Got my garden hoses back in place, just like last year. No real problems, but one hose end disappeared. Guess I buried it, and had to dig by hand to find it... :p All is well, only one nozzle washer missing. I have a bag o washers somewhere.

Ya know, it's still light out. I'm gonna go get some more compost right now!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Everyone is working so hard lately... it still kind of a shock that spring is here for most of us. In a couple of weeks we'll ALL be out in yard creating new life and memories for 2013. Its exciting isn't it? :D

Today I didn't do a lot. We're just about done doing our prepping and planting. We strung up the last of the trellis netting for the melons, beans, cukes, pumpkins, ect. My husband's friend's wife came over with the kids, and they helped me plant more beans. I got my husband out and he planted his bush beans. Sunflowers are in where I want them. (Got plenty popping up where I didn't want them.)

All the tomatoes are in already, as are the peppers. I even hilled my potatoes again! Its like all of a sudden one day we went from barely growing a thing to spring in full swing. Its all growing like CRAZY!!!

Luvin' it. :watering

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
After the storm last night it's too wet in the garden to do anything.
So I decided to re-do the hosta bed next to the porch. Dug up all the hostas, a BUNCH of rocks that had buried themselves, and pulled a LOT of weeds. Broke up the hosta bunches and scattered them around. Added a few hollyhawks to get tall behind them. Even cleaned up and re-did the steping stones a little.

From this
8721_dscf1276.jpg

To this
8721_dscf1277.jpg

8721_dscf1278.jpg

In a couple of weeks, the hosta will be so big it will almost completely hide the brick. :)
Of course, I had a lot of hosta left over, so I put some at the chicken coop gate, some around the back porch and some just in a shady spot behind the doghouse (till I can think of somewhere better).

Then around front to trim the myrtles (way late!). Cougen tried to talke me into a nap in the sun, but it's still a little cool for that today.
8721_dscf1281.jpg

Latest posts