What Did You Do In Your Garden Today?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know, Thistle'. That's a problem with "remote gardening."

It is still only 46 here so I can't open everything up and turn the fan on and split! I couldn't get away until nearly 11 yesterday after that 40 morning. You'd think I would have used more caution but Monday certainly looked like the worst weather scenario so - things just had to be warming up with all that sunshine y'day, right? Shoot!

This morning, there's haze. That may have saved my bacon (& tomatoes) since the thermometer kind of hesitated on its way downhill. But, haze is also slowing morning warm up. Nearly time for the tomato babies on the lawn to come out from under their plastic. Then, the basil and such can face the outside air rushing into the greenhouse. Hope that my venture into the garden doesn't start off with the depressing sight of wilted tomato plants . . .

Steve :/

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
:fl for ya!

Yeah! What the heck happened on Monday? I expected a drip and a drop here and there, but it was pouring and seemed intent on continuing so son#1 and I packed up and abandoned the job we were on. Dang, I really dislike using muddy tools and heaving muddy garden waste around.

I'm turning in to a regular sissy.

That's the trouble with cloudless sunny 85 degree weather. It just ruins you for anything less.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I don't know, Thistle'. That's a problem with "remote gardening."

It is still only 46 here so I can't open everything up and turn the fan on and split! I couldn't get away until nearly 11 yesterday after that 40 morning. You'd think I would have used more caution but Monday certainly looked like the worst weather scenario so - things just had to be warming up with all that sunshine y'day, right? Shoot!

This morning, there's haze. That may have saved my bacon (& tomatoes) since the thermometer kind of hesitated on its way downhill. But, haze is also slowing morning warm up. Nearly time for the tomato babies on the lawn to come out from under their plastic. Then, the basil and such can face the outside air rushing into the greenhouse. Hope that my venture into the garden doesn't start off with the depressing sight of wilted tomato plants . . .

Steve :/
I hope it all went well with the tomatoes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about for you, Gardening with Rabbits???

Did your garden have frost?

We seem to be highjacking Marshall's thread . . !

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have both potatoes AND sweet potato starts (now soaking in a flower vase) waiting for me to put them into the ground!! I've been so busy, but the GOOD news is that the roofers are putting a new roof on my house and patching my barn roof this week!!!! :weee

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What'd I do today? Watered everything this morning before going to work. But last night before it got too dark I planted a whole flat of 54 sweet potato slips in one of my 4' x 10' x 12" boxes. They were the Beauregard variety which means if they are like last year's they'll be really bright orange on the inside and very sweet. Growing them in raised beds works out really well, especially when it comes to weeding them and harvesting them this fall. Can't wait.

This evening before it gets dark I'm going to clean out my Chinese cabbage and try to salvage some of it to make kimchi. Teresa cleaned out the old pickling crock and I found a large smooth rock to sit on the wooden lid. I think I have everything to start making it tonight. I've only got a couple of boxes left to plant. I went down to SouthernStates the local co-op store here in Statesville and saw they had some tomitillos. I'm thinking they'll make a good addition this year and take up a whole box. Probably put them in the box to replace of the Chinese cabbage I'm about to clear out.

It's gotten hot here for the day with the current temp at 3:00 this afternoon standing at 88 degrees. Was only supposed to be 83 today according to the local weatherman. Which makes me wonder: How do I get a job making $250K a year and I only have to be right about 20% of the time? Good work if you can find it, I guess.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
getting home today checked up on the corn patch that was planted 2 weeks ago not much happening there, only 30 are up, will give a couple more days if no more are up going to till it up and start over. kind of thinking between the all the rain and the soil being cold most of the seeds never had a chance.
on the way the dw and I looked to see if the blackberries popped yet only one, something caught my eye on a leaf, the leaf was green with red spots...you guessed it chiggers a mass of them.
at is point I have enough of them, have already been bit 5 times so far this year. figured this would be a good time to spray since been seeing lots of fly's in the raised beds.

after getting done with that proceeded to water everyone in the main garden....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted corn today . . . Painted Mountain flour corn ;).

Big news is that the tomatoes showed no sign of any distress. Yay! Learned that places 5 miles away and about the same elevation had frost! Dodged the bullet.

So of course, will set out more tomatoes tomorrow :p. Hey, it is supposed to be an overnight low of 47 with some chance of rain. and about the forecast for the next 5 days. I tell you, these babies are tough! I've gotta do this cool greenhouse hardening-off from now on! I've got these Cold Set tomatoes this year, saving seed -- I figure I can have them in the garden by Valentines Day!

:D . . . Work? Planted wheat, oats and that ornamental corn - by the acre! Well, several square feet.

Steve
7cb7bf46_zpsaeef79b3.gif

Latest posts