What Did You Do In Your Garden Today?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Felt much better today, went to the dr with the DD and stopped at the nursery on my way home. I picked up 8 more bell pepper plants while I was out, and ever got a clear enough afternoon to get them into the ground. :) Felt good... it was short lived, but glad I felt like it!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
glad to hear your feeling better vfem.

got home and added 4" to the potato bed and one of my tigger melons died
and something has nibbed the big leafs off my artichokes. thinking it's a baby rabbit... another trip to lowes for poultry fencing to go around the raised bed fence.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
glad you're better vfem

I moved/transplanted a couple volunteer veggie plants. hope they make it. I've got several volunteer tomato plants coming up in the weirdest places. I dug up a red bud seedling. wow, that thing had a tap root. it might not make it, but it sure couldn't stay where it was.
picked a couple onions & a smallish cabbage for dinner coleslaw.

I was going to water some, but it rained! thank you God! rain, how precious! we even had a little in the ditches. amazing.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow I should be starting putting up the 1x2 poles, 8 foot, in for the beans, at least for those very late maturing Star varieties that I started earlier than the others inside. Some of them are starting their runners.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did a lot in the garden today. Groomed a final bed for onions and cultivated the last of the flower beds.

Then, I ventured into the new garden space. The neighbor offered his long tape measure but I told him that my shoes are so close to a foot long, I was happy to go with that. My tape measures were miles away and I long ago began to use my feet as a garden standard :).

It looks to me, measured it 2 different ways, that the new space is over 180' long - what is tilled. I have to pile rocks 3 high just to see them from one end of the garden to the other!

I am confused by the width. I was told it would be 60' but it appears to be 66' and the sprinkler pipe cannot be centered. Either way, it is too wide for the sprinkler on any but still days. This is a windy location. I am going to "hug" my side of the sprinkler pipe!

I am also hoping that the property owner makes use of one-half of this 12,000 square feet. I managed to get plants in 540sqft of it today!

Steve
ha! there's Marshall, even as i was typing. i feel good about what i managed to accomplish today and his thread gives me a chance to brag a little :p!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
aha, I didn't mention that I got about 2 thirds of 2 camps raked today. There are small plants of poison oak in these two camps that I watch out for with all too experienced eyes. They are on rolling hills steep at some places and are lakeside camps. That means a small cliff on the side overlooking the lake. That Stihl leaf blower saves the day but still there is some raking to do the final clean. These two camps had been supposedly raked by the campers for years so I am discovering lots of leaves several years old and lots of twig brush. The plus side is, I am also discovering mother lodes of forest compost of the oak leaf mold type. (Soil in my garden is already settling down, over an inch at some places.)

I don't think my raking adds up to as many calories burned as the acreage you tilled and planted though! Just sayin' I haven't been sloughing off completely :p

Just imagine how many kinds of beans I could grow if I had all that goopp garden space you have!

Started typing listening to chicago, and now it's the doors!

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
didn't do much today. watered the tomatoes, chased the chickens out & looked at the onions. not much ambition today.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did some thinning out of the 'extras'.
When I planted the corn, the squash and the cucumbers I put 2 or 3 seeds in each hole. Now that they're up and growing, it's thinning time.
Funny, it was harder than I would've thought to decide who got fed to the chickens and who got to stay and grow . :hide

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some people carry that attitude even towards their salad crops, Cane'. Yeah, they don't want to harvest their radish. The lettuce is let go until it bolts to seed. You know, lives out its entire life-cycle.

I just figure that I'm part of the life-cycle out there, surrounded by life that has the same mission ~ live off my garden! Some are my friends like the owls and hawks. Some are my enemies like the bunnies and bugs. (Hoodat has made friends with bunnies & bugs but he has a more mature attitude than I do.)

You know, if you ignore humans and the microscopic, the most successful species on the planet are the food crops. They've worked with us in a way that could be seen as highly beneficial to all of us. You have a species that depend on you, your chickens. Don't ignore the microscopic garden buddies, your soil & compost life. It is good to give them something from the garden too.

Steve

Latest posts