What did You Eat from the Garden?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you, I use my pressure canner on my glass stovetop. Biggest issue is keeping the pressure regulated due to the #$%^ pulsing action of the heat. But no problems with the glass not being able to take the weight.

It depends on the stovetop. You can check with the manufacturer and see what they say about canning on it. With some it's OK, some say don't. The two possible issues are the weight as you mentioned, and will trapping heat down there cause overheating problems to the stove itself.

I have a heating coil Whirlpool and bought a special canning coil for it. It has structural reinforcement and sits up a little higher so the heat can escape from underneath.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@ducks4you, I use my pressure canner on my glass stovetop. Biggest issue is keeping the pressure regulated due to the #$%^ pulsing action of the heat. But no problems with the glass not being able to take the weight.
I am SURE that you are right, BUT, I would like to try it outside first, just so that I know what I am doing. I haven't even taken my new pressure cooker out of the box, and I am sure that nothing is worn out. Thanks!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you want to be really safe? Call your county extension office and see what it takes for them to check it out, even if it is new. They can at least confirm the pressure gauge is working properly and showing the right pressure.

A question to ask them, what is the right pressure for your altitude. When the recipe calls for 10 pounds of pressure, tat's at sea level. 11.5 pounds is right for my altitude.

Latest posts