What do I compost?

sebrightlover

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm going to get at least a bin to help contain the new pile this summer.

I haven't been real technical with it yet, so I have no idea what temps it gets too.

Maybe I should be more technical about it this summer with the new bin!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you suppose chickens would like some of those spent grains?
Linda, you could try 'em on the chickens.

Since all the sweetness has been washed out, you could put a little back in. I don't have any idea what they'd think of the hops if you are getting the spent grain blended with the yeast and hop residue.

There was a recent BYC discussion on sprouts for the hens. It's sprouted & toasted barley that's being used to make beer.

Honestly, you'd need to be careful about allowing the hens to have "fermented" barley or any product with alcohol in it. Not very kind to get 'em drunk. But, more than that, fetal alcohol syndrome isn't just a problem for humans. There's been studies to show that it effects all critters.

Spent grains usually haven't been fermented - the malt syrup has been washed out of them and the syrup goes into the fermentation vats. However, charging the spent grains with the yeast from the bottom of the vats means that it would quickly start fermenting. I understand that they kill the yeast with salt before mixing as a livestock feed.

I've made beer quite a few times. Seems to me that the process could be a good way to raise the protein level of a cheap feed. Soak a cereal grain - toss in some yeast - allow to ferment for a week - pour out most of the liquid (beer, but I'm NOT drinkin' it :/ - then cook off the alcohol. A slow cooker might work well since it takes very little heat.

I could make real beer and give them what's in the bottom of the brewing vat but to make much difference I'd need to make about 5 gallons of beer a week, I'm thinkin'. Hmmmm :hu , might be a good excuse :woot . . . nah!

Steve
:tools

Mothergoat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:ep No I certainly wouldn't want to give my babies alcohol. I remember seeing the birds eating the old fermented Pyracantha berries off the bush and then flying into windows, etc. (When I was a kid -- Yes! I can still remember that far back!)

I am also afraid of aflatoxin, I remember something about a mold that grows on grains and peanuts producing this most carcinogenic of toxins...I don't know if it could grow on the spent grains. Heck, I can't remember the name of the mold. I was a baby in Mycology 101. :idunno

There was an offer on Craig'slist for trade of eggs/garden produce for spent grains from a home brewer nearby...Tempting. :hu What to do...

Linda

Latest posts