What do I have here?

crooked stripe

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I bought a 6 pack of Santa Fe Grande peppers and have 5 of the those and a plant I have no idea what pepper it is. Any ideas?

peppers001.jpg

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It looks like a thai chili. Not positive but I had some last year that looked like that. They're hot and taste great when roasted then added to stir fry or salsa.

crooked stripe

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I noticed that at first. I looked them up on the net and they said they are a round bottom bottom variety also have some Hungarian hot waxed growing in the garden. You can tell the difference when looking at the two different plants. I can hot Hungarian wax for the winter. No heat process involved, they stay very crisp. I have been doing this process for years. John

crooked stripe

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sure, very simple. I use pint jars just for the two of us. 1/2 vinegar (your choice) 1/2 water. 1-t spoon sugar, 1-t spoon of canola oil and 1-t spoon of salt per jar.( I boil liquid to dissolve sugar and salt) 1-500 cloves of garlic, to your taste per jar. I wash jars and lids in the dishwasher and pack peppers into hot jars then pour hot liquid over peppers leaving 1/2" head space then screw on lids. Let cool on counter. I have never had one jar not seal. There has been a few times over the last 40 years that the garlic turns blue. Don't know why. I just toss those peppers and go on with life. I have many folks ask for my peppers for Christmas gifts. I hope you enjoy. John

I guess there is more to writing down a recipe that I thought. Had to edit 3 times.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is from a food safety site, and I read the same on Food Network's site:

Why does garlic turn blue-green when cooking with butter and lemon?

Garlic contains sulfur compounds that might react with copper to form copper sulfate, a blue or blue-green compound. The amount of copper needed for this reaction is very small and is frequently found in normal water supplies. The other sources of copper might be the butter or lemon juice. The garlic is safe to eat. To prevent this in the future, do not refrigerate garlic and store the bulbs in dry air for 32 days at above 70 F to 80 F before use to prevent formation of the green or blue-green pigments.

Food network:

"Acid is the culprit. Garlic contains anthocyanins, water-soluble pigments that turn blue or purple in an acid solution. While this color transformation tends to occur more often with immature garlic, it can differ among cloves within the same head of garlic.

The bad news is the acid-soaked garlic looks like something a Smurf might serve at the dinner table. The good news is the garlic flavor remains unchanged (except for the flavor of the acid) and is totally edible without bodily harm."

Do you know the reason for adding the oil?

Thank you so much! :)

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tutter said:
Do you know the reason for adding the oil?:)
Yeah, I'm curious about that too?

A pint jar with 1-500 cloves of garlic...:lol::lol: I love that line...As a garlic lover, I could see leaning a bit to the heavy side on that..:p

Latest posts