What do I need to start canning?

Mosquito

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I won my Ball Blue Book at the county fair with the Best of Show canned tomatoes! (brag, brag)

jc12551

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I haven't purchased any canning supplies yet, but I just shucked and froze 60 ears of sweet corn today. My fingers are a bit raw! There is nothing like corn that has just been picked.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have never tried to preserve corn. How long can you keep it for. I might try to put some up if I have the room.
Do you let it defrost before cooking it or do you just throw it in while frozen?
I like it grilled or boiled.

elnabelms

Leafing Out
Reaction score
These are not absolute essentials, but they make canning tomatoes, apples, berries, etc. so much easier-

Steamer/Juicer- brand is Old Country. It allows you to cook fruit using steam, it's quick and keeps more nutrition. Once the items are steamed, I put it in a

Squeezo Strainer- which has 3 different screen sizes. Regular is good for apples, tomatoes, things with medium size seeds. It squishes the fruit, taking the peels, seeds, etc out, leaving beautiful sauce.

These 2 items take a lot of the work out of canning, making it easier to do large quantites. It is also great if you have limited time for canning, as it takes less time to process fruits for jams, sauces and butters. :)

Latest posts