What do Red Wigglers eat

Ohwell

Sprout
Reaction score
Alrighty I was just curious I read somewhere else where a person who has been vermicomposting with Red Wigglers for over a decade stated that they eat the microbes that break down the food. Thus he recommends letting the bin sit for a week once it has been prepared before adding the worms, and also to let the food sit for a week before adding it to the worm bin. This is done for the simple reason that it allows the microbe community to be established and allows the worms to get off to a running start when you add them as there is a ready source of food for them. So do they just eat the microbes, or do they also digest the food wastes. I'm just curious as I started my bin today and need all the help I can get as I have to many projects on the go.

Ohwell

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks for the link I emailed them and am niw awaiting a response. The website I read that about them eating the microbes is redwormcomposting.com. He's posted a few videos on youtube about how to set up worm bins. Anyways see what they say. Once again thanks.

Ohwell

Sprout
Reaction score
Already got a response back and they said that they eat both. However they can only eat soft foods so freezing works really good.

Latest posts