What do you do with Australian Butter Squash?

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No, not Butternut. Butter squash. These things:

120822_6848 by wsmoak, on Flickr

That was from *five* seeds, and that's not even all of them! It was like an alien life form, it took over the back 1/3 of the garden, at least until the bugs got it. Many of them are infested with caterpillars or worms, I've been breaking them open and feeding them to the chickens (because I *sure* don't want any of those seeds in the compost.)

Has anyone grown them before? What do you do with them? It _looks_ like a pumpkin... I was thinking of roasting some of the seeds and seeing how they taste.

-Wendy

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I cut them in half like a flying saucer , remove the seeds, and roast on a cookie sheet until the top is just a bit blackened and the meat is soft. I like them plain just like that simmered in their own juices. You can also add pumpkin pie spices for a side dish or use it for a pie. I bake the whole thing and freeze the left overs in side dish size zipper bags.
wsmoak said:
No, not Butternut. Butter squash. These things:

[url]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8462/7901868800_484fcfea4f_o.jpg[/url]
120822_6848 by wsmoak, on Flickr

That was from *five* seeds, and that's not even all of them! It was like an alien life form, it took over the back 1/3 of the garden, at least until the bugs got it. Many of them are infested with caterpillars or worms, I've been breaking them open and feeding them to the chickens (because I *sure* don't want any of those seeds in the compost.)

Has anyone grown them before? What do you do with them? It _looks_ like a pumpkin... I was thinking of roasting some of the seeds and seeing how they taste.

-Wendy

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
I cut them in half like a flying saucer , remove the seeds, and roast on a cookie sheet until the top is just a bit blackened and the meat is soft. I like them plain just like that simmered in their own juices. You can also add pumpkin pie spices for a side dish or use it for a pie. I bake the whole thing and freeze the left overs in side dish size zipper bags.
So... face up, like two bowls on the baking sheet? (ISTR instructions for acorn squash to bake it face down like a dome.)

What temperature and about how long does it take?

Thanks!

-Wendy

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Face up so that it bakes in it's own juices. 375 or higher. Time-don't remember-when a fork says it's soft and it's a bit blackened. Butter if you must but, I like my veggies to taste like what they are.
wsmoak said:
catjac1975 said:
So... face up, like two bowls on the baking sheet? (ISTR instructions for acorn squash to bake it face down like a dome.)

What temperature and about how long does it take?

Thanks!

-Wendy

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my God! How could I forget? Use it in a creame of squash soup as a replacement for butternut or any other winter squash. If you have hard to feed kids, mine all love it, as do the grandkids now. You can find a recipe that appeals to you online. I will try to find mine.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks! I baked one this evening and it's passable plain, but we'll probably add some spices when we heat it up tomorrow.

I have a fabulous butternut squash soup recipe from America's Test Kitchen, I'll have to try substituting this squash next time.

-Wendy

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
A bit of cinnamon might improve it. You may find the flavor gets better with time.
wsmoak said:
Thanks! I baked one this evening and it's passable plain, but we'll probably add some spices when we heat it up tomorrow.

I have a fabulous butternut squash soup recipe from America's Test Kitchen, I'll have to try substituting this squash next time.

-Wendy

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:drool

I vote for industrial quantities of pumpkin pie. Get a contract with a bakery. Cook up an industrial quantity of pumpkin seeds, package them, and get a contract with a grocery store. For what's left of the plants, set them in the middle and bottom of the compost pile. Same with the seed hulls. Also, make sure you save some seeds for next year. You might get a bigger contract for next year!

:weight

Latest posts