What Do You Overwinter ?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't overwinter anything indoors, my house is little and my attention span short. I just wanted to take this opportunity to say that for the first time in many years I have planted every last one of the plants hanging out on my "extras pallet". And that's a news flash folks! Yes, there are no sad daylilies in bags, no root bound perennials, no customer divisions of whatever languishing through the winter(s) - my pallet is empty! Yippee!!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My MIL has overwintered about 25 lantanas the past two years. Can you tell she really loves them? She has a couple empty bedrooms to keep them in though.

I have such a hard time not killing my things, since we heat with wood. I put most things in the unheated sunroom, but then I have to pay close attention to the winter low temps and drag them into the living room if it gets too cold. Other things get covered with a clear bag for a humidity dome.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Im not in over winter camp. I've eyeballed some roses that I would be willing to winter but that would be about it. If I could store them in my garage ok....but inside with lights? Just don't have that kind of room.

But then I don't have any house plants right now either. Cats decimate them even cactus they will push over if they can't chew on them and enough falls does them in. I don't even bother with cut flowers because the cats turn them into confetti.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I had a pepper plant, (the kind you make stuffed peppers with), that lived for 3 winters. Then last winter,..the Polar Vortex, finished it off and half of my potted plants I had out in the potting shed.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bring in less and less as my fear of pests ruining my seedlings keeps me from doing too much. I have favorite houseplants that spend the summer outdoors that make it into my greenhouse. My amaryllis are always brought in. I have many of my own crosses. A few pineapple plants that are decended from a pineapple that I fed to my family including my parents. My parents are now long gone. It makes me happy every time they produce a small sweet pineapple which I share with my family, now including my grandsons. My 25-30 year old bougainvillea gives me quite a show all winter.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Im not in over winter camp. I've eyeballed some roses that I would be willing to winter but that would be about it. If I could store them in my garage ok....but inside with lights? Just don't have that kind of room.

But then I don't have any house plants right now either. Cats decimate them even cactus they will push over if they can't chew on them and enough falls does them in. I don't even bother with cut flowers because the cats turn them into confetti.
The people who compete in rose shows over winter their roses inside of a garage in large trash cans. I do not think they need hear or light. They just need to be out of the bitterest cold. I live near RoseLand a Rose grower that ships all over the country . They put them in low structures that are almost like putting them in a cellar for the winter.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you overwinter Coleus? I have 2 that I found for the first time that I really like.

Mary

Yes!
Um, not that I have done it, but a sweet elderly lady I know does every year. I think she takes cuttings and puts them in a bright window.
Mary, wouldn't they survive outside all year?

Latest posts