?what do you plant in spring, summer, fall

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i would like to plant a seasonal garden, but i am just learning what vegetables grow well in each seasons,

what do you plant in teh spring?

in the summer?

in the fall

CottageGardener123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:happy_flower The spring usally has the most variety of plants to plant in their season. In Spring you plant all your vegetables, and summer annuals, perenials, and bienals. From phlox, borage, nasturtims, and all other flowers that bloom in early summer - autumn to others such as lupines that bloom only in summer. Check out all the seed packs at your local gardening store. They usally say when to plant, and when they bloom.

As for summer, there isn't really anything to plant as all the spring planting usally has the summer flowers. Of course you'll always replant carrots and radishes after they mature but thats pretty much everything.

Autumn has a lot of planting to do. All spring bulbs, sweet peas, daisies, and many more flowers. Some plants such as sweet peas and lupines can be planted in spring too...its your choice when to plant.

Also, please check out my page on BYC which has a list of flowers when they bloom and when they plant:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=15915-Cottage_Seeds

Enjoy your day! and happy gardening! :)

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My favorite garden is the Fall garden. I have mustard greens which I am now harvesting, cabbage, black Tuscan kale, carrots, turnips, beets, chard and onions coming along. It get so hot here so quickly in summer that all my stuff seems to burn up no matter how much I water.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Much depends on your local weather as to what to plant at what season.

Here in Tucson, I am just now planting lettuce, spinach, cabbage, onions, peas some flowers like, nasturshims, violas, etc.

I bought some new sage plants that I put in a pot. Sage and most herbs grow well all year long here.

In Jan or Feb. I plant wild flowers seeds so when the weather warms up I have tons of pertty flowers in my garden.

In spring I plant beans, squash.

In the summer... I just try to keep my perennials alive. My husband wants me to pretend there is snow on the ground from June to August here.
That way I won't be using so much water.
hot-sun-192.gif

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
rebbetzin said:

Here in Tucson, .

when the weather warms
Huh? When the weather warms up? Isn't it always warm there? lol

I watch the world weather reports, and Arizona seems like it never gets cold..:)

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Whew, That's a big question for me :/ , For spring, I hope to have my plant starts growing in lil pot's under light about 6weeks before I want to set them out in the garden . I check my county extension office for my state and zone or the Farmers almanac to see what time my plants need to be set out or planted. With my soil warmed up, I plant potatoes in February,then corn seed and onions , right out in the soil but I hope to have starts of Cauliflower,Broccoli and lettuce plants growing inside , next I would plant green beans and later transplant out the tomato and pepper plants and also direct sow some melon ,cucumber,squash and okra seeds all outside by may 1.
I can replant beans but our summers are hot and almost everything is gone by mid July but then I can start my fall plants growing again inside in August for September planting and this would include corn,tomatoes,beans,squash,cabbage,chard,greens,Artichokes for next year,turnips,broccoli and any other cool weather veggie.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have lettuce sprouting on the window sill and a pepper plant in the basement!:D
I just planted garlic but it might have been too late...

hoosier

Sprout
Reaction score
setter4 said:
I have lettuce sprouting on the window sill and a pepper plant in the basement!:D
I just planted garlic but it might have been too late...
I did a search on lettuce and window sill and found this. I was wondering if anyone has had success growing it and what temps the room was.
Thanks for any advice.

Latest posts