What Do You Prefer, Bush Beans or Pole Beans?

Bush Beans or Pole Beans?

• Bush Beans

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Pole Beans

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you want tender get 'em before they age too much is true for many varieties.

there are a notable few that will last longer on the plant (Top Notch wax beans do pretty well as one of them IMO).

as to individual tastes and preferences, there are a lot of beans i like that others don't. it is ok, more for me. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have grown both of those.

I thought Emerite was very nice, healthy and productive.

Don't understand why Fortex is popular. All plants of that variety were the same but maybe there was a problem in the seed producer's growing operations. I wasn't interested in trying it for a second season.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I rotate through several pole snaps (Fortex was last year), but if I could grow only one, it would be Emerite. Good cool-soil germination, heavy yield, and straight firm pods that are always stringless. It holds up exceptionally well to freezing & pickling, retaining its firm consistency. Really great as a dilly bean.

@digitS' , just curious... what was it about Fortex that you didn't like? It does have a drawback that I noticed, which is that the long pods bruise easily in strong winds, and the scars can be unpleasantly tough. I plant it in a protected location for that reason, downwind of other tall crops or structures (it was on the South side of my house last year). The pods are longer than Emerite, but not as straight; sweeter & more tender than Emerite (good eaten raw), but slightly less firm when frozen. It also proved to be rust-resistant in a bad year when most other beans were stricken.

I love the much different flavor of pole Romano-type beans too, but they don't freeze as well, so those we eat fresh. For many years though, in my early gardening years, I swore by Tendergreen bush beans. If I reach the point where erecting the trellises becomes too strenuous, I might go back to Tendergreen, and/or to Woods Mountain Crazy Bean (a very productive bush heirloom).

Jared712

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Good to know these both varieties will be on my wish list. This year I had to stick with what I could find and make the most of the situation. Still waiting on my online order......but I was able to get some back ups so I'll be ok.