What do Your Yard Plants Think about Spring?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The University of Wisconsin, along with the Weather Service, has been keeping track of lilacs for a long, long time. They recently changed some of their approach and, instead of just the "common" lilac, have been somehow using a cloned variety. . . I guess, they've been shipping these around the country. Since it is a clone (like so many fruit trees & such), whatever happens with it here can better be compared to whatever happens to it there.

You might know that our farming ancestors planted lilacs just about everywhere they settled. Not only were they pleasant plants to have around but they used them as a guide as to when to plant various crops :).

This is an "official" map of when the first leaf appears on average for the common lilac most anywhere in the US and Canada, except the deep South and extreme North. The numbers begin with January 1st as Day 1:

leafnorms_640.gif

Are your common lilac leaf buds breaking early this year? I have to wait for sometime between the 100th & 110th day. That will be between April 9 and 19.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well I went out to ask them, and the ones who had started peeking out of bare ground a few days ago are now reburied. :rolleyes:
The rest of them aren't talking.

1iora

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I had no idea lilacs could be used to help farmers figure out what to plant where! I'm going to look into that.

I love lilacs. There aren't many here in DC, but we had them everywhere in Rochester NY. There were several outside my college dorm and the smell was incredible. There were also tons in the large park nearby. Apparently the queen of England used to go sniff them.

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We have lots of lilacs that came with the property and although it has been warmer than normal here, like most of the US they do not appear to be ahead of the game. They don't normally have a flush of blooms most years because no the weather it's gets just cold enough when the buds break to limit the blossoms.

They still make a nice full barrier of green no matter what happens. :)

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
well according to the map it should be awhile BUT someone forgot to tell the lilacs.... 3/4 of my yard is surrounded with lilacs and forsithia.... the forsithia is in full bloom and the lilacs have leaves the size of a squrilles ear...all our trees have started to bud....I had no idea the old farmers used them to tell when to plant... I have heard about planting corn when the oaks have leaves the size of a squrilles ear...which is later then the lilacs...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is the 83rd day of the year today, Pam. Apparently, lilacs are all about warmth. They must not be much influenced by hours of daylight unlike some plants.

1iora said:
I had no idea lilacs could be used to help farmers figure out what to plant where! I'm going to look into that.

I love lilacs. There aren't many here in DC, but we had them everywhere in Rochester NY. There were several outside my college dorm and the smell was incredible. There were also tons in the large park nearby. Apparently the queen of England used to go sniff them.
You mean I have something in common with the queen?! I've sniffed a lilac ;) ! Might be only thing that I have in common with the queen . . .

Yep. I have found old homesteads where the buildings were nothing but piles of boards - there were still lilacs. Seems like they were right across the country. Lilacs are easy to start from root cuttings.

Examples of phenological correlations include:
Plant peas when forsythia blooms.
Plant potatoes when the first dandelion blooms.
Plant beets, carrots, cole crops, lettuce and spinach when lilac is in first leaf.
Plant corn when oak leaves are the size of a squirrels ear.
Plant bean, cucumber, and squash seeds when lilac is in full bloom.
Plant tomatoes when lily-of-the-valley plants are in full bloom.
Transplant eggplant, melons, and peppers when irises bloom.

University of Wisconsin

I imagine that virtually every garden and field crop could find a home in that schedule. I'd have a little trouble following since there are no native oaks here and my lilies-of-the-valley are in deep shade. They always surprise me when they finally get around to blooming.

Steve

1iora

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Guys! I'm going to get a lilac! I emailed the arborist from my undergrad to ask the variety that smelled fabulous by my dorm. I am going to force it to thrive even if I have to put an air conditioner and a grow light on it at the same time.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
When oak leaves are the size of a squirrels ears?? How funny- that is an example I have never heard. I will have to pay attention to the squirrels ear size next time he is helping himself to the birdseed! My lilac leaves are unfolding. But, we are scheduled for cold weather coming up- they better back off.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Soon, weed seed will be sprouting. A very few, began to grow last fall but most weed species don't do that. And, if weed seeds cannot sprout, by what magic would my 10 to $1 each seed from a packet sprout?? ಠ_ಠ Two perennials that are common around here also play a part in my gardening schedule: Oregon Grape and Black Locust.

The Oregon Grape's bright yellow flowers will begin to open just about the time the first of the warm weather arrives. The leaves of the Black Locust seem very timid about unfurling as long as there is a chance of frost. A frost doesn't really seem to cause them any damage but I doubt if it happens anymore often than once out of every half-dozen years. One has to be a little careful with trees and that may be true with oaks, Lesa. Trees are such BIG plants. What is happening on the southside of the tree may not be what is happening on the northside of the tree, or any other side for that matter. Anyway, that is what I noticed when trying to use my friend and evergreen, Douglas Fir as a guide.

1iora said:
Guys! I'm going to get a lilac! I emailed the arborist from my undergrad to ask the variety that smelled fabulous by my dorm. I am going to force it to thrive even if I have to put an air conditioner and a grow light on it at the same time.
You know, 1iora, Walt Whitman was living in Washington DC when he wrote "When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloomed." That poem, may also have been a reason so many lilacs came west with the settlers.

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks like we are right on the line for 100 days. Some one did not tell the lilac!!! They are completely in leaf and almost ready to bloom. :ep

Latest posts