What Does A Husband Do For His Sick Wife!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a guy!! Seems like it might be a good idea to "come down with something" every now and then! The new bed looks great- he's a clever and smart man. I have received a load of stones, window boxes, compost, etc. for gifts. I like gifts that keep on giving!!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
Rosalind said:
digitS' said:
DW has an interest in gardening. But, why . . ? She's even afraid of worms!
I used to be scared of worms, for the longest time. It's that you can't see their eyes, that freaks me out. I know they HAVE eyes, I just can't see them--it's scary like the aliens in the Sigourney Weaver movies, they don't have eyes so they must have mysterious alien senses. I know, scientifically, that this is simply not true, they have lots of light receptors on their heads and can sense vibrations quite well, but not being able to see their eyeballs is somehow terrifying.

Spiders and snakes don't bother me a bit. They've got visible eyes.

Anyway. Congrats on the new bed! Boy, I wish my DH would believe me when I say I'd like a truckload of manure... He is sure this is some evil feminine trick that will get him banished to the couch for a week, even though it's exactly what I want!
ROTFLMAO!!!

First of all, I've always been weirded out by worms, but I love to garden and I love to fish (yes I have my own pink girly pole and I put the worms on myself). But worms have always just made me stop and look and think twice about touching them. So I completely understand what you are saying, I've never thought of it that way... but you are so right!!!

Second, it took years and several birthdays and apologies to get it through to my husband that I do NOT want flowers someone cut up and stuck in a vase of water. What a waste! I want my flowers with a root still attached please, and a bag of dirt would be nice too.

I do not do jewelry, though he's bought me plenty of nice pieces I never wear. Get me a tree, build me a deck, or walk-closet. Throw together some raised beds in the yard and he becomes the BEST husband ever! So much so, I have jealous friends because I brag and brag about it, and now they are all bugging their hubby's. And guess who gets yelled at by the guys for making them look bad!!!!! :lol:
Rosalind--too funny, I got a good chuckle out of that one too! :gig

Vfem--I hear ya on the cut flowers!!!!! They don't even smell as nice as homegrown roses.....and I always think how many rose bushes could I have bought with that money, or even a fruit tree or something! I haven't had the heart to come right out and tell my DH not to buy me cut flowers, but I try to hint for something with roots!

Steve--I used to think I was an odd one, but it seems there are quite a few like-minded ladies on here with me! LOL :lol: I think it has more to do with the show of love that goes along with the amount of effort it takes to shovel a truckload of poo for your hunny. My DH grumbles a bit, but I know he does it because he loves me! Same with tilling.... I can't even keep ahold of the tiller, so it makes him feel very cavalier! ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
See, my spring technique is to keep DW very well stocked with seedlings. She can transplant so much better than I can, smaller hands and all.

I did all the work with the tomatoes this year, however, . . . nearly all the peppers. She may help me in the garden with them but I'll have to dig the planting holes. (Keeping a close watch out for those frightening worms, of course ;).)

The onion seedlings are the worse for me. I think I could simply end up unable to get out of the garden after awhile. They'd find me out there with a bunch of tiny onions in one hand. But, I do my best with them.

I run the rototiller, of course, but it is more like, "Look, I'm going to strap myself to it and I'll get it turned around or stopped before leaving the property . . . "

Steve

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve - I totally struggle with worms as well. And the whole picking the bugs off the plants. Oh no. Not for me. But I got me a 4 year old boy. and he likes that

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We just laid some chicken wire in the bottom and filled with dirt! :D Take that you nasty VOLES!!! :lol:

Anyways, I am going to plant those watermelon and maybe a couple dozen radish to get that bed started. Late afternoon (6pm - 7pm?) I'll give everything a good soaking! :D

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oh I would love to have dh build that for me!

I always joke with him that instead of the diamonds he bought me in the past (which ofcourse are very nice and I am thankful for) I told him I would be more than thrilled with a few yards of composted soil and mulch.That and a really good wheel barrel!

Healings for your DW.

I love collecting worms for the frogs and chickens.

Latest posts