What does one do with a "cast iron skillet"?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My DH brought home an enormous black skillet made of pencil thick iron, and deposited it in front of me with extreme pride. I'm pretty sure he was expecting praise for this random and rather odd gift.

Since I'm used to him coming home with strange things that later prove to be extremely useful/cool later I delivered such praise, and have now tip-toed off here to ask...eh...what's it for?

He says he's going to season it now. o_O Thus far this appears to mean smearing it in oil and shoving it in the oven.

So....what does one use cast iron skillets for, and why are they special?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are wonderful to cook with - and ESSENTIAL for perfect southern fried chicken.
They heat evenly and hold heat well.
DO NOT WASH IT when you use it. Just wipe it clean with a damp rag.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmm. How do you make southern fried chicken? The only fried chicken I've ever had comes from KFC

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I only cook on cast iron skillets. They heat evenly and keep the heat longer. When you season them the become relatively close to non stick. You can wash them, I do, but only with soap and a cloth. No bar keepers friend/S.O.S pads or stuff like that it will take off the seasoning. Basically anything you can do with a normal skillet and more. You can also use them in the oven like a casserole dish. Cornbread in a cast iron skillet :drool Chinese fried rice that is not burnt, evenly sauteed veggies that aren't burnt, perfect omelettes, fried chicken, and sliced new potatoes :drool:drool:drool and if you want to make a casserole without using the oven prepare as you normally would (but in the skillet) cover with a lid and keep the burner on low. It is a lot faster then waiting for the oven to preheat, then waiting several hours as it cooks. I can put four pans on the stove vs two in the oven. Making casseroles in the pan will take 20 to 30 min, the oven..... 2 hours :/ If you like to cook you will LOVE the pan.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have 3 cast iron skillets, a cast iron dutch oven and a cast iron wok. Needless to say i cook everything in mine!!!

One reason i really like to use them is you can brown a piece of meat stovetop, then stick the whole thing in the oven to finish it up. I saute almost all my fresh veg in one.

The important thing like Canesisters mentioned, is NO SOAP when cleaning them. Once they've built up a nice seasoning (and it can take a while) its easy to clean with just hot water. I have a special kitchen scrubber i save for the cast iron, never had soap on it. If i really got something stuck, i use a metal scrubber (not brillo pads, just plain metal) and scrub everything off, then reseason with crisco in the oven. After you wash it, you should dry it on the stove and if it looks like it needs it (you'll get a sense of when its dry - the color is lighter) just rub a little veggie oil on it with a paper towel.

One thing that can really strip the seasoning off is tomatoes. They're so acidic, most people avoid putting them in cast iron. I do sometimes, then just wash (no soap!) and reseason.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well sounds like this skillet might be fun :D I love making fried rice, I'll try doing that in the pan and see what happens.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My MIL got me hooked on cast iron when I was a newlywed. I cook nearly everything in mine now. They make the most perfect pork chops or anything that you want an even sear on it. I've got 5 sizes, including a dutch oven. Also, cooking acidic stuff like tomato sauce can mess up your seasoning (it eats it off.) Flax seed oil is supposed to be the very best oil for seasoning cast iron. I rinse mine with just cold water and wipe it out to clean. Using a metal spatula with a squared edge is best as it also helps perfect the seasoning since it levels off bumps of food stuff as you scrape it around in the pan. Once you get the hang of cooking with it, you're gonna love it!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmm. How do you make southern fried chicken? The only fried chicken I've ever had comes from KFC

Well - this could easily become it's own thread... LOL
But the general idea is:
1. Fill your pan about 1/2 full of oil and get it heating
2. Pass your chicken through some sort of seasoning assembly line - from patted dry chicken - to dry seasoning (salt/pepper/on and on endlessly) - to a batter (usually egg/milk/wet seasonings like hot sauce, etc) - then breading (again - can add flavor here too). I usually set up a couple of bowls moving the pieces from left to right to keep the mess to a minimum.
3. Lower your coated/breaded chicken pieces into your already hot skillet - CAREFUL to not overcrowd (or splatter yourself)
4. Let them set! Don't play with them, jiggle them, wiggle them or otherwise bother them - they are BUSY becoming delicious.
5. When you see the bottom half starting to brown (3mins or so depending on your heat) then carefully flip them - tongs work well here.
6. Again - let them be for a little while.
7. Remove to a paper towel covered plate to drain a little (you'll have to guard them at this point because they tend to disappear mysteriously)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well - this could easily become it's own thread... LOL
But the general idea is:
1. Fill your pan about 1/2 full of oil and get it heating
2. Pass your chicken through some sort of seasoning assembly line - from patted dry chicken - to dry seasoning (salt/pepper/on and on endlessly) - to a batter (usually egg/milk/wet seasonings like hot sauce, etc) - then breading (again - can add flavor here too). I usually set up a couple of bowls moving the pieces from left to right to keep the mess to a minimum.
3. Lower your coated/breaded chicken pieces into your already hot skillet - CAREFUL to not overcrowd (or splatter yourself)
4. Let them set! Don't play with them, jiggle them, wiggle them or otherwise bother them - they are BUSY becoming delicious.
5. When you see the bottom half starting to brown (3mins or so depending on your heat) then carefully flip them - tongs work well here.
6. Again - let them be for a little while.
7. Remove to a paper towel covered plate to drain a little (you'll have to guard them at this point because they tend to disappear mysteriously)
Man this sounds good!

Latest posts