What does one do with a "cast iron skillet"?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think teflon was oneof those things that benefited from good marketing. It was new, hyped up on TV all the time...everyone thought it was the new great thing.

I have burned my hands on my cast iron too, now i am in the habit of always grabbing it with a hot pad, every time, evenbefore i use it!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
So I've had this cast-iron skillet for a month now, and I have to ask...why did everyone switch to teflon? I always thought it was because they were non-stick, but my skillet never has anything stuck to it. Plus it cooks better.

My only complaint is that I've never had any pot or pan of any sort that had a handle which heated up same as the bottom. YOUCH!!

One of my pans came with a pot-holder-like handle cover, so I use it on all of them. It slips right onto the handle and stays on and I don't have to remember to grab a pot holder.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the ceramic non-stick skillets? I have a small one I love, but my big one is warping, despite my best efforts to be gentle with the heating/cooling process.
The big cast iron ones would be too much weight for me to lug around. I have to use two hands to carry a big light weight skillet that is full of food.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my pans came with a pot-holder-like handle cover, so I use it on all of them. It slips right onto the handle and stays on and I don't have to remember to grab a pot holder.

Someone offered me one of these when I was a kid and I thought it was sort of weird. Now I know what they are for lol!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
AMKuska, I have several of those rubber pot holder things that fit over the handle of the pan. You can get them at ANY kitchen speciality store.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use my small and bigger cast iron pans a lot. As I rushed out to get some things for DH last week, my car diverted itself and stalled right in front of my favorite store. I decided to go in while my car rested and looked at some cast iron Dutch ovens. Sheesh! I could barely lift the smaller one. The sales man told me they had lighter ones. Sure, but they weren't LODGE, were they?

I managed to get out of the store with only one purchase -- a shiny 9" frying pan from ALL-CLAD. That's #2 in my meager collection of THE GOOD STUFF. By that time, the car was ready to continue DH's errand picking up some 'necessities' the ambulance drivers wouldn't stop for.

Latest posts