what guys in the know are doin' right now

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The NCTomatoman is planting tomato seeds this weekend.

Craig LeHeullier, author of "Epic Tomatoes," ...

Okay, if you add or subtract x-number of weeks from Raleigh, NC's climate ...

:D Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
will be start our tomato seeds here in a couple weeks, checked out his website last year very interesting selection shame the raleigh farmers market is 2 hrs away.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll be starting my tomatoes the first week of march, and peppers sometime this week.

Steve, your signature is positively inspirational, I think I'll go outside!
It's amazing that I can actually start on some yard work in February.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you plan to grow Cherokee Purple,

you've got that guy to thank for it.

First book, I believe, but he's been important for the aficionados for several decades.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Although I'm really overcome by that itchy "it's almost spring" feeling, I'm holding back on starting my tomatoes until mid-March. It really does them no good to get too big and root bound in their pots. It's not the size of the plant that is advantageous, but the warm growing conditions that will make them take off.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll be starting mine at the first of April and setting them out about mid-May...that's considered our last frost date.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed, I'm surprised your frost-free date is so late. Not doubting you, just surprised.
My frost free-date is around April 20, I think. I need to wait a week or so to start my tomatoes. Longer if I can, as my inside grow area gets pretty crowded. Was hoping to get the cole crops put out around mid March, but not if there is still snow on the ground!

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm considering buying the flats. I did starts last year....and didn't really get any ahead.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed, I'm surprised your frost-free date is so late. Not doubting you, just surprised.
My frost free-date is around April 20, I think. I need to wait a week or so to start my tomatoes. Longer if I can, as my inside grow area gets pretty crowded. Was hoping to get the cole crops put out around mid March, but not if there is still snow on the ground!

This state is fully within the Appalachian Mountain range, so we experience different weather patterns than the states on either side of us. We've learned to not put anything out until Mid-May and even then it's a little bit of a risk...we watch the weather reports pretty closely after setting out seedlings. We can often get snow in April, so frost in May is no big stretch.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This state is fully within the Appalachian Mountain range, so we experience different weather patterns than the states on either side of us. We've learned to not put anything out until Mid-May and even then it's a little bit of a risk...we watch the weather reports pretty closely after setting out seedlings. We can often get snow in April, so frost in May is no big stretch.

That's very much our situation around here also. Mid May is traditional, but you better be ready to protect anything you put out for the first month anyway.

Latest posts