What happened to my

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
daylilies?

Beefy's pics have made me extremely envious and I have a problem. Something destroyed my daylily roots/tubers this summer. They bloomed (sort of) early in the summer and then...nothing. Leaves disappeared, too.

Sooo, while I've had the shovel out, I dug them up. What's left looks like an empty cigar wrapper. Tried to get pics, but they disintegrated when I went to brush the dirt off. There's an outer fibrous layer and a hollow core. Any thoughts on what got 'em?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you see any evidence of voles? tunnels, raised soil, small holes etc?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There are two possibilities here ...Too much water and no drainage, or not enough water! I highly doubt a bug did all that and so thoroughly too!

Do you, or did you water? Daylilies can tolerate Drought but I am not sure how extensive! Didn't you all get a ton of rain this year?

How is the soil around them?

Ron

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yeah, we got quite a bit of rain, but all at one time and late in the summer. Drainage where they are/were is pretty good. Someone had flowers there at one point because I've been digging in some pretty decent soil, not the usual clay. Between rains, I usually soak everything really well about once every 7-10 days.

I haven't seen any evidence of burrowing varmints and we do have LOTS of feral preditor control mechanisms. :rant Glad they (the cats) keep varmints under control, but we have a bit too much of a good thing around here. (Just as an aside, the neighbor that feeds them wants them gone too, but won't quit feeding "because then they might go somewhere else". Ya think!)

I just finished digging up the grass where the new stuff is to go, and the daylilies were, and found some sort of blobby,tan kelp-looking thing. I know, I know, I should've taken a picture, but instead I just reburied it. I also uncovered a rather, uhm, extensive red ant colony. Could these be the culprits?

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It sounds to me like root-rot. I had some daylilies once that I didn't get planted soon enough and had stuck in a bucket of water so they wouldn't dry out. I forgot I had them.
paperbag.gif
When I remembered them they had been soaking for a WHILE. And they were very dead with roots like what you described.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yep, sounds like the same thing that happened to my clearance daylilies that i bought for free. i left in pots for a while until they started looking sickly and then watered them thinking they were too dry. when i finally did plant them they had been too wet! root rot! empty mush cigar roots.

other culprits i might suspect are voles, mole crickets or maybe nematodes? (just some crazy guesses here)

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That's sounding awfully familar. I got these at a local nursery and did get them planted the same day, but I get the feeling that it doesn't take much to drown these guys.

For round 2, should I try buying plants again, or do you guys have better luck the bare root ones?

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ive always bought bareroot except for the ones that did so poorly, those were in pots. and i only got like 4 plants to live out of 4 CLUMPS. oh, and also, dont get the ones in bags in the bulb section at lowes b/c i picked up several of those on clearance and they dont look anything like the ones they are supposed to be, they are small yellow and look like regular stella d'oro.

Latest posts