What have you canned or preserved today?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't do hot peppers, just sweet peppers, so I can't offer any thoughts on those.

Since my last post on this thread, I've not done a lot. I ran some tomatoes through the food mill and cooked the "juice" down some, then froze that in preparation for making spaghetti sauce later. I've got about 8 quarts of halfway cooked down sauce in the freezer. I haven't tried it this way before. I'll see how it goes.

I also made 13 half pints and 3 pints of seedless blackberry jam. I'd previously run the blackberries through the squeezo strainer to remove seeds but still had all the pulp in it. That was canned previously to store them until I had the time and ambition to make the jam.

And I've just finished making 18 pints of chicken broth and froze three vacuum bags of cooked chicken meat.

6180_meat_and_broth.jpg

Not sure what I'll do next. My summer garden has slowed a lot, but my fall garden has sprouted real well.

MsMarieH

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I'm new here, but not new to canning. :) This looks like a place where I'll make friends in no time.

To get caught up, I'll just post what I've canned this month. It's been a bit busier than usual as my mother in law came up and canned with me over Labor Day weekend.

Autumn Cranberry Pear Jam 7 half pints
Gina's Locally-Famous Onion-Garlic-Pepper Jelly 12 half pints
Cowboy Candy (Candied Jalapenos) 8 half pints
Cowboy Candy Syrup 2 half pints
Praline Sauce 8 half pints
Taco Sauce 6 half pints
Tomato Jam 3 quarter pints and 5 half pints
Blueberry Ginger Jam 3 half pints
Italian Sausage Vegetable Soup 7 pints
Blueberry Citrus Conserve 7 half pints and 3 three quarter pints
Salsa 16 pints
Vanilla Extract 2 half gallons (for Christmas gifts - not actually "canned")

Tomatoes and peppers were from my garden. Made a bit more than this, but this is what I had left after MIL took some home with her.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:welcome MsMarieH!

Sounds like you will have some yummy recipes to share too. ;) Good work! :thumbsup Lucky folks on your Christmas list!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Got Caramel Apple jam... about 12 jars. Not much as it takes a lot of hand peeling on my part. Hahaha

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered peaches and pears from the market when they had a canning special.
I'm not a canner, but you guys have inspired me to learn. So I blame you!

I spent Saturday canning 40 pounds of peaches. Maybe I should have started smaller because it took me from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. but I did it!

Next is 56 pounds of pears...! :)

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered peaches and pears from the market when they had a canning special.
I'm not a canner, but you guys have inspired me to learn. So I blame you!

I spent Saturday canning 40 pounds of peaches. Maybe I should have started smaller because it took me from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. but I did it!

Next is 56 pounds of pears...! :)
Awesome! Dilly beans were my gateway item into canning.

Did some apple butter last night that had cooked down in the slow cooker over the weekend.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, Thistle, you were on a marathon. I hope you don't get burned out. How many jars did you can? Will you eat that many peaches and pears?

I have to can more salsa. But even though the process is simple it just seems to take so much time. Just boiling the water in that hugh canner seems to take forever. Since I have an empty freezer, I'm thinking of making it and then just freezing it.

Mary

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I canned a few buckets full of figs a few weeks ago. It almost seemed never ending with so much Fig Jam.
I made it natural with just a little sugar and lemon juice, no pectin here.

Latest posts