What have you canned or preserved today?

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My mom and I made SO MUCH PEPPER JELLY/JAM since my last post. We were trying to use as many peppers from my garden as we could before this bad frost hit. We made 10 different kinds....

But the cool thing is that a lot of people want to buy it for gifts. In the past month, I've sold 40 eight ounce jars and 50 four ounce jars of pepper jelly/jam. I've been selling the jars only $1 over cost and people are going NUTS for it. I didn't realize this many people liked pepper jelly and jam!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HotPepperQueen said:
My mom and I made SO MUCH PEPPER JELLY/JAM since my last post. We were trying to use as many peppers from my garden as we could before this bad frost hit. We made 10 different kinds....

But the cool thing is that a lot of people want to buy it for gifts. In the past month, I've sold 40 eight ounce jars and 50 four ounce jars of pepper jelly/jam. I've been selling the jars only $1 over cost and people are going NUTS for it. I didn't realize this many people liked pepper jelly and jam!
That stuff is to DIE FOR here!!! I sell out pretty quick each year, maybe 150 jars gone by now. Good stuff!

In fact, I adore it! :D

...and I need to make another batch quick, my pepper are slowing down.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I small jar of jelly around here goes for $8.00 at the local stands and orchards.
HotPepperQueen said:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
HotPepperQueen, I hope you are not underpricing yourself. $1 over cost sounds too cheap. Think of all that labor that went into it. Like Catjac, anything homemade goes for $6-8 around here and people buy it.

Mary

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I agree, your time is worth more than $1 a jar. We are to have a frost/freeze come Monday morning, not sure what I'm going to do with all the peppers out there. Guess I need to come up with something that I will actually use. They are all mild peppers. Any ideas?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Google sweet pepper relish or sweet pepper jam. Y0u can use them on sandwiches or on meat.

Forgot to add. Just chop them up and freeze them. If you tray freeze them (spread on wax paper on a cookie sheet and stir them a couple of times while they are freezing. After they are frozen, put them in freezer container) you can measure out a certain amount to use for dishes where you add sweet pepper. I have some in the feezer now in vacuum bags. When I run out of fresh peppers, I'll open one vacuum pack and keep them in a zip loc type bag in the freezer. I do the same thing with onions.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Went out to the garden to eat fresh raw corn with the 2 year old grandson, Gavin. It is his favorite fun. I found about a dozen or more ears completely devoid of husk and corn and just a cob standing in place. I'm guessing squirrels did such a complete job. So Gavin and I picked the rest, shucked, and clean it. It is cooked and I am about to cut off the kernels from about 5 dozen beautiful ears of corn. A lot of work but it will be delicious all winter long. Gavin and his big brother are going to be very upset when there is none left to pick and enjoy in the garden.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Since this is my first time selling any of this stuff I decided I better start out cheap. Next year I will raise my prices. I didn't know what the response was going to be from people! But to my surprise- a lot more people like it than you think :cool:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
HPQ, I once heard or read something that said figure out your cost for supplies and then double it to come to a selling price. Just an idea.

Mary

Latest posts