What have you canned or preserved today?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Figure we need one of these threads for the section!

So tell everyone what you have managed to can or dry or pickle...ect, TODAY or even this WEEK!?

Today, I have done 12 jars of my smoky chipotle mustard.
Last night (I was up past midnight so it counts for today. :plbb ) I did 3 quarts of green beans, and 8 half pints of low sugar blueberry syrup.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do your green beans come out a little crispy, vfem? (or are they overcooked, like mine?)

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yesterday I made black raspberry jam. I was feeling lazy and running out of time, so I didn't process the jam, and it had to go into the freezer. I also made a small batch of cherry sauce that I stirred into some homemade vanilla ice cream today. I froze the rest of the cherries. We canned some cherry jam and strawberry jam and made strawberry leathers a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to pick more cherries today (our two trees are loaded), but after seeing about six gallons of them in the freezer, DH told me I wasn't allowed to pick any more. :rolleyes:

When I think about it, it sounds like a lot. But we're just getting started!

I'm also curious about your green beans, vfem. Mine always turned out mushy, so I stopped canning them a few years ago.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The other night I was up past 3am making 37 1/2 pints of strawberry jam, 6 pints of freezer jam, (my wife likes it, I prefer the canned stuff) froze a dozen cups of strawberries, and made a 1/2 quart of strawberry ice cream. That includes clean up too so it wasn't all just canning. We picked over 45lbs at the U pick of Early Glows so they had to all get processed.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today it was freezing beet greens. Just finished clean-up a few minutes ago. Jared, I too consider clean-up part of the process. Tomorrow it will be canning the beets themselves. I'm not looking forward to all that scrubbing but I do like the beets.

I have some sage in the dehydrator that should be ready today. I plan to put oregano or basil in to start drying tonight, not sure which. I have grapes getting ripe that I want to try to make raisins, but I'll get another herb done while they are getting ripe.

I also have some saurkraut making in an urn. That will probably go for another month or so before it is ready.

During the past week, I froze 9 two cup packages of broccoli. This is the stuff that grew after the main heads were harvested. I also canned 7 quarts of dill pickles and froze 11 packages of carrots.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, the green beans are ok. Not much better then the canned ones from the store but not complete mush. I blanch them before I can them so they're still a nice green in the jar. I add canning salt to the boiling water I put over them. Other then that, I just like having them for the winter... never as soon as fresh.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This weekend I put up 7 pints of pickled beets; 4 quarts, 1 pint, 1/2 pint of zucchini relish; 4 batches of zucchini bread.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I canned 3 pints and 3 half pints of salsa last night. A friend gave me a bunch of really ripe tomatoes. It was not very hot, the jalapenos are still very young.

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I picked about 100 heads of garlic today and they are starting to cure in my kitchen. I will move them to my basement probably tomorrow. Tomorrow I am going to pick my oregeno (planted last year that came back this year) so it can start drying in my basement. I also bought 24 pounds of apricots and 10 pounds of blueberries at the store that I will can, make jam, and pie filling from tomorrow (when it isn't 95 degrees outside, just 80).

Latest posts