What have you canned or preserved today?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Wow Journey! I'm so impressed! All that and Superbaby too! :ep

Is that one of your uses for duct tape?
Hmm...duct tape...just...might...work. :lol:

I try to plan around naptimes and the occasional Barney video. :p I feel like I'm a coach calling plays on the sidelines of a very heated tie game some days. Trying to think one step ahead of Superbaby is really very exhausting.

Ninnymary, yep, it was ground deer/venison. I love how lean it is. It's really quite healthy and good for you. You should try it sometime! Do you have much of a deer population in your area? I don't recall you cursing the deer for eating your garden like some of us have had to contend with. I've gotten to where I prefer it in chili and spaghetti sauce because it is a sweeter and non-greasy meat compared to beef.

Steve-- Mincemeat... Oh, I don't know if I could handle that. I never realized that it was actually supposed to have meat in it! Here's anold-fashioned recipe I found... It calls for the addition of 2 and a half cups of suet. :sick

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Come on guys, NinnyMary is down in the bay area...

Where they have super ultra gourmet vegetable foods, heck, where they invent new vegetable cuisine dishes.

I'm not a hunter, heck, can't even kill a fish anymore. But I enjoy good meat products.

NinnyMary, good Deer meat is nearly identical to beef, but there are subtle differences in flavor and texture. Whitetail especially is similar. They call the flavor "gamey", and some hunted meat is more "gamey" than others. A slight...how would you call it? ...deep smokiness to the flavor? Short version is, if you enjoy a good london broil or tbone, you'll just as much enjoy a good deer meat venison steak. For a beginner, well done, maybe with some fine sauce, potatoes n gravy. Mmmmmm, visualizing the plate, maybe with some asparagus on it...

Deer meat comes from knowing someone who is a hunter, you know, the guys talking kinda rough but all in fun...Ha, then Jim thought he'd go down and around the gully! Wound up waitin' for him at the truck!!! ...NinnyMary, sure you know someone who knows a hunter? If ya don't, might have to stop in a good nearby bar and ask the bartender. If not there, then one up here in Mendocino county.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, of course I don't know any hunters! I live in concrete jungle. I have tasted lamb which I think is gamey.:rolleyes: Does that count? :lol: Whenever we go to a "fancy" restuarant, my husband will order lamb, duck, venison, or maybe rabbit. Me, I'm too chicken to even try a taste of his. :lol:

We do have delicious gourmet food here in the bay area. The other day I had a salad with slices of persimmon, pomegranit, and goat cheese, on an arugula salad. It was delicious!

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What about sausage, Mary? Think you might like to try a smoked sausage made with venison or elk?

That was something else my aunt and uncle would do with all that venison.

Suet? Yes. But, here is a recipe without any suet: Venison Mincemeat. I remember all the other ingredients but not the molasses. I don't really think that molasses can take the place of suet . . . It may not be best as 100% venison but the recipe suggests 50% beef.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm actually very worried about vfem...

Last things she was posting about was that pain, remember?

Was it Nachoqtpie who lives not far from her? I'm sure Nacho's ok, just busy with her ducks, critters and garden, life and work, but vfem. Unlike her to disappear like this.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ninnymary ... just 1 mile from my ranch and about 10 mi. W. of Clovis, ( Fresno) Cal. at the very base of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. there is a guy that raises Axis deer ( spotted like a fawn, males have large antlers) like one would a beef. He has 6 ft. tall fences but occasionally one or two will jump over it, but stay near by and are herded back. He sells the meat to restaurants. :drool I haven't seen or heard of a native deer in the area in 20 years. This is after the bleeding hearts managed to stop cougar hunting. The cougars then drastically reduced the deer population, so they have turned to calves, sheep, goats and horses , etc. (a cougar killed one of my yearling fillies that I just sold the night before via the telephone to people in Texas for $50,000 ... result NO SALE and a big hole in my pocket :somad ) for their blood thirsty dining pleasure.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bobm, our families live in Fresno so I have a fairly good idea the area you are talking about. It's a shame the deer are gone. I think if we just let animals be they will take care of their own population control. I could be wrong. I sure hope I don't start a heated discussion on that!

I had do read the price of that yearling right to be sure I was looking at the right number of zeros. Wow, had no idea an animal could go that high. Except of course race horses. :/

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I bought 30 pounds of onions for $1.00/5 pounds last week, and I've been dehydrating them. The only bad thing is that it smells heavy of onions for the first 6 hours. :rolleyes: Guess I'll try this earlier in the year next time, and do it on the porch.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, those sale priced onions never keep well otherwise. I love dehydrated onions. So handy! And you get all the tears out of the way in one pass too. :p

Latest posts