What have you canned or preserved today?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awwww...that's sweet Smart Red. The things we do for our sons. I only have one so you can imagine. He's the baby and 23 yrs. Sometimes my daughter catches me doing his laundry :hide and complains that I shouldn't do it! I know she's right but it's so easy for me to throw a load in before the kids arrive. Many times I need his clothes to make a full load. At least that's what I tell myself. :rolleyes:

Your're a great mom!

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The last of my potatoes were starting to sprout. Had 17# left, of which I canned 4 quarts and dehydrated the rest.

Had a bunch of my homegrown chicken that DH over-scalded the skin on, so I had bagged it all up in quart bags in the freezer until I could get around to canning it. Ended up canning 12 quarts of legs and thighs over today and yesterday.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally decided to make jam. I have a lot of frozen raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, elderberries and rhubarb. Today, I canned 6 half pint jars of raspberry jam. There is 10 pounds of potatoes in the dehydrator. I am making kefir too. I had 1/2 gallon finish today. I am using raw milk and after it is done I am using raspberries for flavoring and my PICKY son is drinking this and likes it. I will start some more tomorrow.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dehydrated a quart of strawberries, well got a quart of strawberries and a pint of raspberries yesterday. I also have a quart of strawberries that I did not think dehydrated all the way, so I put them in the refrigerator and will eat before they go bad.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did not come back and post that I made another batch of raspberry jam, and 2 batches of elderberry jelly that both DS and DD like. I am thinking of planting 2 more elderberry bushes this year.

I just bought 2 elderberry bushes this spring, particularly to use for their medicinal purposes. I was wondering if two would be enough, but they get pretty big when they're full grown, so I don't know where I might fit in more. And they're such tiny berries. I want to also make jelly and cordial. What kind of yield do you get from your bushes?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just bought 2 elderberry bushes this spring, particularly to use for their medicinal purposes. I was wondering if two would be enough, but they get pretty big when they're full grown, so I don't know where I might fit in more. And they're such tiny berries. I want to also make jelly and cordial. What kind of yield do you get from your bushes?

I planted mine in 2009. They are about as tall as me now. There really was not much if anything in 2010. In 2011 I got some. Not sure how much. I would pick and freeze and I had enough to make the syrup for your immune system. In 2012 there was a lot more. I would say we got a gallon or 2. Then, last year maybe a gallon or 2, so in all that time we had a couple quarts of elderberry syrup, an elderberry pie and now 14 half pints of jelly. Unless there is some buried in a freezer, that is all, but I read they can get 8 feet tall some of them. I have York and Nova. York is suppose to get 6 to 8 ft tall and Nova 6 to 10 ft. They have white flowers. I am thinking of buying 2 Guincho Purple. They have purple flowers, but get taller, maybe 12 ft. I am just not sure if I really, really need them. They just started sort of kind of liking raspberry jam. :celebrate

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I've started to dehydrate mushrooms. They are so pricey in cans, like 60 cents for 4 ounces, and sometimes really nice looking ones go for sale cheap. I like to keep them around to make Beef Stroganoff, or to add to spaghetti sauce. I don't even have to seal my canning jars, just label them with some masking tape and reuse.

Latest posts